Our program is starting rotations soon and we are using standardized end of rotation exams though the PAEA.  What are the best books to use to prepare for these exams or any end of rotation exam? 

Thanks in advance! 

I used Pearls and Rosh. Found the PAEA exams to be pretty similar to rosh questions. It's nice to look at the PAEA EOR exam blueprint, but I wouldn't go crazy over it. I always keep a pocket book or two with me on rotation as well. It's more about learning bit by bit as you go. It can be tricky because you'll learn "real world" medicine but you also need to keep on top of "textbook" medicine. Those worlds don't always align. Also, keep in mind the relative % of questions. 

You'll find you'll get comfortable with what patient population comes through the door at your particular rotation, but don't forget to look up the stuff that doesn't show up on your rotation. 

My recommendation is to find a select 1-3 books and stick to those for studying. When you have so many books to study from, it becomes stressful and you lose focus and feel like you "have to know everything." A lot of the books present the same information in different ways. Find a book that you like and makes sense to you and stick to it.

My favorites from PA school was:

A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants
Step up to Medicine
First Aid USMLE Step 2 CK (Clinical Knowledge)

The first book is my favorite, it's concise and not a big bulky book. What I did during rotations was read from various books and then consolidated my information into one book so that as my exams got closer, I only had to really study one book.

Definitely use the blueprints as a guide because anything on the blueprints is fairgame for the test. There were a hand full of times I recall that a question that was on the EOR blue print showed up on a test but it wasn't anywhere in my prep books.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By johangon86
      Hey!

I'm a PA-S1 studying in Indianapolis at Butler University but I'm born and raised from Austin, Texas and would love to do a rotation back home (or at the very least in Texas). I'm looking for any and all preceptors that would have me for a rotation. I'm open to any specialty as long as I can make connections. Unfortunately, my program doesn't have any rotations available in Austin but we do have a clinical experience coordinator who can take of the agreements between the program and the preceptor. If you know anyone who possibly has a lead I would greatly appreciate the help!

Regards,
      Johan
    • By Pastudent463
      What are some book/resources that you used to study for the PAEA end of rotation exams. Did you follow the blueprint exactly when studying? 
      Thanks!
    • By futurepac93
      Hello,
      I am looking for an MD, DO, PA, or ARNP to be my preceptor in the Central FL area for 6 week clinical rotations starting in August. The specialties I need are: Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Psych, and Women's Health. Let me know if anyone has any connects! Thanks in advance.
    • By healthyventurer
      Physician Assistant FAQ!
      Some insight for pre-PAs! On career, lifestyle, school, studying, and more. Hope you like! 
    • By Sc737
      Hello! I am currently still in the didactic phase of PA school in New Orleans but I will be starting rotations next May. My goal is to work in Houston after PA school, so because of this I would like to do my preceptorship there! The problem is that I do not have any contacts in Houston (except for my significant other who is a CPA). 
      My preferred specialty is trauma surgery, but I am also interested in ED, general surgery, cardio-thoracic, or plastics. If anyone knows who I can get in contact with about doing my preceptorship in Houston or the surrounding area it would be forever appreciated!!!!! 
      my email is sydney737@hotmail.com, or you can reply to this thread.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More