GRE

Hey guys. I don't have over a 300 on the GRE. This is my third time applying. I have been offered interviews but only denied or waitlisted. So I realize it is my Interview skills and already started working on those skills as well as mock. I want to apply early May/June. Do you all think I should retake GRE to open up options, if so, any recommendations? GRE prep tools?

Guest thePAway

I ordered a book for like 20$ off Amazon called "GRE Prep Plus 2018" and it is a Kaplan book that came with a ton of online modules with full math and verbal sections, practice essays, and 2 full practice tests. I thought the best way to study was just to do a bunch of practice problems and for the writing I read the sample ones on the ETS website. I would also suggest doing the full practice tests that ETS provides when you sign up for the GRE. The textbook also has explanations on math and verbal concepts but I honestly didn't really ever read it

For vocab I also used a free app called "Magoosh GRE vocab" and memorized all of the common words and they appeared on the test a lot. 

I have no affiliation to any of these sources but this is what I used to study for the GRE and I got a 319, good luck!

4 minutes ago, thePAway said:

I ordered a book for like 20$ off Amazon called "GRE Prep Plus 2018" and it is a Kaplan book that came with a ton of online modules with full math and verbal sections, practice essays, and 2 full practice tests. I thought the best way to study was just to do a bunch of practice problems and for the writing I read the sample ones on the ETS website. I would also suggest doing the full practice tests that ETS provides when you sign up for the GRE. The textbook also has explanations on math and verbal concepts but I honestly didn't really ever read it

For vocab I also used a free app called "Magoosh GRE vocab" and memorized all of the common words and they appeared on the test a lot. 

I have no affiliation to any of these sources but this is what I used to study for the GRE and I got a 319, good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice!

If you're struggling with the math section, a book that helped me practice was the 5 lb book of GRE practice problems by Manhattan Prep. It has chapters specific to each section (geometry, ratios, fractions, stats, etc) with at least 30 problems in each chapter. It also has specific chapters for the verbal section as well.

I also like the ETS power prep back because it has through explanations of what to expect from each section, how to approach each section, and math review (formulas and patterns you should be familiar with).  It also has over 4 practice tests!

Screw the GRE! I applied to programs that mostly do not require it. 2 for 2 in interviews from non-GRE schools. Standardized tests do not measure anything and I support schools who agree with that notion [emoji1] 
Good luck! The PANCE is a standardized test.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Good luck! The PANCE is a standardized test.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The PANCE is not a GRE or SAT. Completely different story haha! The GRE is not relevant to anything. The PANCE is. If one can  avoid a GRE retake or avoid it altogether they are better off.

I'm simply saying it is silly to discourage someone from going after their goals just because of a GRE score. 

On 4/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, Gbpmk399132 said:

The PANCE is not a GRE or SAT. Completely different story haha! The GRE is not relevant to anything. The PANCE is. If one can  avoid a GRE retake or avoid it altogether they are better off.

I'm simply saying it is silly to discourage someone from going after their goals just because of a GRE score. 

My point was that, if the only reason you are avoiding the GRE is because it is a standardized test and you hate all of them, you WILL be taking the PANCE, which is also a standardized test.

Working oneself up into a frenzy and convincing yourself that you just always do badly on standardized test is generally not a good path to be on. And it cuts way down on your options and, if you're trying to get to a goal, the more options you have, the better.

1 hour ago, UGoLong said:

My point was that, if the only reason you are avoiding the GRE is because it is a standardized test and you hate all of them, you WILL be taking the PANCE, which is also a standardized test.

Working oneself up into a frenzy and convincing yourself that you just always do badly on standardized test is generally not a good path to be on. And it cuts way down on your options and, if you're trying to get to a goal, the more options you have, the better.

For sure! Well said. You’re absolutely right. I did mention that notion on other posts in the past..Having the GRE does indeed allow you to have more options. That is why I took it, as well. 

Archived