About to start locums, help me help myself!

I am currently in Anchorage but due to a huge variety of factors me and my wife have decided to move back to the lower 48 and are planning on spending a year or two on the road to get a feel for various areas to consider settling long term and to have some adventures in general.  My experience in is primarily FM/UC and honestly prefer to stay out of UC though I would do it in a pinch.

I have browsed a number of the old locums threads but have walked away with the following questions:

1.  I see people mentioning hourly pay the are getting eg.60-80$/hr in fm/uc.  Is that would I generally should be expecting as base play PLUS house/travel/perdiem/etc or do those numbers look more like total comp? 

2.  From what I can tell the system in place with these companies sets them up to try to screw you as much as possible as they take whatever they don't give you.  Any tips for not getting taken advantage of?  Questions to ask?

3. What is the etiquette as far as working with more than 1 company?

4.  Any suggestions for "Good" companies to approach? I have talk to Barton and while the guy seemed fine I could tell it was gonna be a hard sell kind of thing. (I suspect that is the norm)

I would seriously consider not working with a company. 

Figure out where you you want to go.  Search job boards.  Submit you CV right to facilities as a self employed locums.  You need med mal and a workers comp policy.   

Sign 3 m contracts with hourly rates around 80-100.  

Realize most staffing agencies are worthless  

realize that most places that need to hire are crappy places

do NOT give any part of ypur time or expertise away  no free call coverage    No salary rate(hourly with 1.5 over 40/wk   Might even ask for housing allowance on top

i looked in a few companies a few years back   And they were offering me 10-15 LESS then I was making as a full timebenefited employee   Then to add insult they said I would be 1099   Yeah no thanks  

seriously just map where you want to go and make some calls 

Archived