Avoid jobs advertised like this

Requirements:
NYS RN LICENSE. NYS NURSE PRACTITIONER LICENSE. INPATIENT EXPERIENCE HELPFUL. EXCELLENT CUSTOMERSERVICE + COMMUNICATION SKILLS, ABILITY TO MULI-TASK, DETAIL ORIENTED, COMPUTER SKILLS. EDUCATION: MASTERS DEGREE. EXPERIENCE: 6 MOS - 1 YR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes is is for an NP position, but just as easily could be PA

Translation

Excellent Customer Service =  We will not stand behind you when you make the right medical call when the patient doesn't like it

Excellent Communication Skills = we stink at communication so you better be exceptional at figuring out what we are saying, how we are saying it, and what is important.

Ability to Multitask = we are going to work the living crap out of you with out support staff.  You will be expected to do FAR more then a doc just because we demand

Detail oriented - if the above three things are not enough, if you screw up we are going to punish you

Computer skills - we have a crappy EMR that is next to impossible, we will give you a few hours training, then expect you to be a super user

Experience - 6-12months - some body that has just figured out how to see a patient, but not gotten a task of what it is truly like to practice medicine - and this is key - they want to work you to death, with minimal oversight, and no training or back up.  Expect you to be as productive as a doc, pay you 1/3 the amount, and you best not screw up as they will hang you out to dry.....

Did I miss anything??

I have had  9 positions in my 29 year career. I created 8 from scratch (had to convince someone why they needed a PA when they had never considered it). I got one job through an ad in the PA Journal. That job was a total disaster and I had to sue them in the end. So, my lesson, the best jobs are those that you create yourself. Ask a MD to go out to dinner. Convince them what you can do for their group. Then try to write your own ticket.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, jmj11 said:

I have had  9 positions in my 29 year career. I created 8 from scratch (had to convince someone why they needed a PA when they had never considered it). I got one job through an ad in the PA Journal. That job was a total disaster and I had to sue them in the end. So, my lesson, the best jobs are those that you create yourself. Ask a MD to go out to dinner. Convince them what you can do for their group. Then try to write your own ticket.

agree- I have also created a few jobs. My first rural job was posted forever as full time only. I called them and said I could do 1 weekend/month, take it or leave it. That turned into a job that I have been at for 12 years now, 1-2 weekends/month. 

On 2/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, jmj11 said:

Been looking to get out of Family Medicine

Have been interviewing in the large health system where I work, and nothing feels like a fit, because I've realized bottom line I'm over corporate medicine. I 'm sure I do not need to elaborate on the reasons. .

I took your great advice- sent my resume to an independent doc who was advertising a new location 8 miles from my house. Office manager called me the very next day, and interview is tomorrow. 

Thanks again, I do not know why I didn't do this sooner. 

2 hours ago, PAinPenna said:

Been looking to get out of Family Medicine

Have been interviewing in the large health system where I work, and nothing feels like a fit, because I've realized bottom line I'm over corporate medicine. I 'm sure I do not need to elaborate on the reasons. .

I took your great advice- sent my resume to an independent doc who was advertising a new location 8 miles from my house. Office manager called me the very next day, and interview is tomorrow. 

Thanks again, I do not know why I didn't do this sooner. 

Kudos to you! I hope it is a great position. By leaving your old position and taking this new one from scratch you've also created a job opening (your old one) for a new graduating PA.

Archived