(Reapplicant) please share insight

Hello everyone,

I applied in 2018 to several schools(mostly on rolling admission), and only received 2 interviews. And this week I received rejection from both of them, it is devastating to mešŸ˜„. My top choice is Drexel University, I had applied to it back in 2016, granted an interview, but was rejected in the end. I applied to Drexel again in 2018, by the last day of their deadline my application was verified. And I was not granted an interview.

My status:

GPA overall:3.41

SGPA:3.41

After submitted my application, I took biochemistry and scored A-. I had updated that in my application as well.

I had retaken two science courses back in the first year in the community college. No retakes after I transferred to university.

Currently working as an exercise physiologist, hours by the time I applied last year: 1720

Other past job healthcare related hours as medical interpreter: 2080.Ā  As behavioral therapist intern: 836

Volunteering hours(both healthcare related or not related): 300

Shadowed PA hours: 80

Shadowed MD hours: 360

Nurse: 20

I know I need to improve my interview skill. My native language is not English so when I speak to the interviewers, I started to make grammatical mistakes in my conversations. I have no problem expressing myself when I am talking with anyone else. And before those 3 interviews I had before, I did research on interviewing skills. Most of them said that I should just be myself and be honest.

And so I was honest to every questions I asked. For example, I was ask to tell them one thing interesting about myself, I told them my life is simple so one interesting thing I could think of was that everyday I start my day with a 30mins gym session. Does it sound too simple? Most of the times I am giving my answer like if I am talking to my friends, very conversational vibe. And I feel like these are all wrong(because I did not get in).

Could you give me any insight and advises base on my situation? I am planing to reapply this year, I still work the same job and doing the exact same activities as last year, should I submit a similar personal statement because nothing is new? Or should I redo the whole paper? I cannot think of how I should write it because I feel like I should not change the reasons and history that impacted me to want to be a PA...

Should I reach out to the program that rejected me after my interview to find out why they reject me? I read on other thread said that if you are rejected after interview it is most likely you don't wear the color they like, and that they don't feel the chemistry with you. (it feels to me like if I am getting rejected by a guy after the first date, in which case I would not ask him why he does not like mešŸ˜‚).

Many thanks to everyone!

Ā 

Yes, it is very important to call the admissions office and ask to meetĀ with the director of admissions to discuss your application. If you are not in the area of the college, a phone call will do. It is best to find out directly from the program what the interviewers thought were your weaknesses; no book will be able to give the specific information that you need to know in regard to your performance. You mentioned that your life is normal, can you do something that makes you stand out? When you answer the question of what makes you interesting, the answer should be something they remember and it doesn't need to be anything crazy; maybe something that will put a smile on their face or something that not many ppl do everyday; exercising daily is not interesting unless you do extreme fitness. Also, try to practice interviewing with people who you would be nervous to disappoint; the fear of failure will either break you or push you to be as prepared as possible; either way, it will make you stronger because you can learn from your mistakes or success from a fake interview and take the gained/learnedĀ skills to the real interview. If English is not your first language, speak about your primary language as a strength and speak on how you would better serve the ppl of your community as a bilingual providerĀ by eliminatingĀ a barrier of communication for those patients who speak your primary language......I could go on or not...hope that helps a little. PM me if needed.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, windmill2019 said:

I know I need to improve my interview skill. My native language is not English so when I speak to the interviewers, I started to make grammatical mistakes in my conversations.

That's all that is necessary to sink your application in a competitive field; you really probably don't need to look any farther than this.

Mock interview with strangers, especially ones who can pretend to be mean/hostile, until you can answer smoothly.

You need to learn to sell yourself.

Redo your personal statement. Ā Practice interviews. Ā Frankly if the most interesting thing about you is that you go to the gym every morning that's likely not any different than the majority of other applicants. Ā It's not memorable. Ā It won't make a program think 'hey this person will bring something unique to the class'. Ā I'm sure you can come up with better answers.

Guest HopeToBePAC

You're good enough on paper because you were able to land interviews. You just need to practice your interviewing skills. It's even tougher for you because English isn't your native language, and that sucks but you just have to practice. Mock interviews.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:31 AM, MT2PA said:

Frankly if the most interesting thing about you is that you go to the gym every morning that's likely not any different than the majority of other applicants.Ā 

I think you could spin this fact into something memorable - "I go to the gym every morning. I firmly believe regular exercise supports healthy habits and I am well versed in exercise physiology. As a PA I hope to incorporateĀ my past HCE and personal experience with motivating myself to exercise daily into my practice." Being memorable does not mean having done the craziest thing! Something simple can be memorable if painted the right way.Ā 

Interviews in my experience are all about selling yourself as a package. @windmill2019Ā I would look at your previous application through the eyes of an admissions counselor. What is the story you are telling? Please feel free to message me with your previous essay if you want some ideas!

I'm late to this but I'm shocked no one has suggested applying earlier. If you were verified by the last day of Drexel's application deadline, you were in the back of the line (aka behind a few thousand applicants). You need to apply much earlier - ideally May or beginning of June - to have a legitimate shot. The good news is that you'll have another year of good PCE! Sure, practice your interviewing and spoken grammar, but also make sure the adcom sees your application when they have open seats!Ā 

Archived