I've searched this topic quite a bit and haven't had much success in finding info about it, so here goes: How can PAs work with DOs or work in DO practices? I'm sure this goes on, but is it catch as catch can? And what of shadowing opportunities? I feel like most PAs seem to gravitate toward MD practices vs. DO, or is that my perception? Any insight and/or resources would be helpful.

Thanks!!

I've searched this topic quite a bit and haven't had much success in finding info about it, so here goes: How can PAs work with DOs or work in DO practices? I'm sure this goes on, but is it catch as catch can? And what of shadowing opportunities? I feel like most PAs seem to gravitate toward MD practices vs. DO, or is that my perception? Any insight and/or resources would be helpful.

Thanks!!

PAs work with DOs because DOs are physicians and practice medicine. Where you see a large concentration of DOs there will be more PAs working with DOs. Part of the reason that there are not as many PAs working with DOs is probably related to the fact that PAs are less likely to go into primary care and DOs are more likely to go into primary care. There are also several (~10%) PA schools affiliated with DO schools. I don't know if the AAPA has ever broken out the numbers but the percentage is probably comparable to MDs within the different specialties.

There are a couple of states that have separate allopathic and osteopathic medical boards and PAs in those states may be governed by different rules.

David Carpenter, PA-C

The laws can vary from state to state. You can look it up, but previously, here in the state of Washington, there were slightly different rules if your SP was a D.O.. I think if your SP is a DO you have to have 20% chart review. This was a decision made by the DOs. Otherwise everything else is the same.

The only medical school in Maine is a DO program so there are a fair number of DO's in that state. My wife worked under the license of a DO in Maine for a time, it was a separate licensure process for the PA through the DO board and there were some differences in how CME was handled, other than that, no difference in practice.

According to this http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/Professions/Osteopath/documents/OsteoPAApp.pdf it looks like the requirements to be licensed as an "Osteopathic Physician Assistant" include graduation from an ARC-PA accredited school and successfully passing the NCCPA boards.

Sounds like "Osteopathic Physician Assistants" are PA's.....not to be confused with "Orthopaedic Physician Assistants" (OPA's) who are NOT PA's.....

• 9 months later...
should the new PA graduate obtain a DEA license by themselves? or do you wait to get hired and then have the practice set it up?

also, is there any difference with the DEA requirements whether it's with an MD or DO??

Wait till you get hired. The DEA is expensive...

I just set up my license for Az, my new SP is a DO and it does not appear that there is any difference down there...

Wait till you get hired. The DEA is expensive...

I just set up my license for Az, my new SP is a DO and it does not appear that there is any difference down there...

Thanks evan. Do you or anyone else know how long it takes to get the DEA license? i'm afraid this job i'm looking at might not consider me once i tell them I don't have a DEA license yet (depending on how soon they want the PA to start). Or maybe there's a some way to work around it until i get it? I dont know..

Archived