Criminal Record Questions

Hey guys. So when I was in 7th grade, I stole from Claire's (stupid, I know) and got convicted with a misdemeanor in Oregon. This is a minor record, so I know previous employers and colleges have not found this on my background check. Then, stupidly again, I got a few misdemeanor charges for using a fake ID about 2 years ago. The charges were dismissed, they did come up on the criminal background check at the hospital I work for.

My question is, will either of these greatly hinder my chances of getting into PA school? I have looked into getting the theft misdemeanor expunged, but because it was in Oregon (and I live in NC now) it is very difficult and confusing, especially with my fake ID charges. I'm hoping that because the theft was so long ago (I was 13) that it won't be that big of a deal.

Please tell me any advice or opinions on this! Thanks!

• Administrator

It'll be a pain to explain for the rest of your medical career, because there are a lot more "Have you ever been convicted" rather than "In the last 10 years have you been convicted of a felony, or a misdemeanor in the last 7?" questions on state licensing applications.  But as far as those things go, minor property theft and fake ID are among the most benign of "real" crimes (rather than traffic infractions)  You will need to have copies of dispositions (keep them handy for life) as well as a good, thorough, written explanation (that, too, can be reused) explaining what happened, what you learned, and how you've grown and changed.

It's going to cost some money, and take extra time, and maybe close some doors to you, but no, it's not a showstopper.

Archived