Any good videos that go over draping/setting up a surgical patient..?

Been Working in ortho spine surgery for the past 4 months. we also do knees and shoulders..

the issue is.. volume of surgeries is low. we do about 2 knees a month, 2 shoulders a month, and 2-4 spines a month (including lumbar , cervical anterior/posteriors so theres really no muscle/mind memory from acute repetition happening

I was thrown into the OR with no experience and believed I would just naturally pick things up..

with volume so low, i've only done about 8 knees, 8 shoulders, and 8 spines.

My surgeon definitely verbalizes the set up to me each time, but in a very big hurry. and theres always equipment missing/malfunctions so it doesnt help the fact that im trying to learn a step by step set up.

Hes told me the past two-three cases that I really need to get the set up/draping down.. and its starting to make me feel inadequate 

Im frustrated because in the moment of setting up/draping, im so focused on not messing up, that I dont really get to internalize what im doing. and by the time ive set things up after being mildly humiliated, im then focused on the surgery so the set up/draping memory goes out the window.. and Its not like I can write down what I just did because by that time im already scrubbed in. 

I did a knee today.. the next time I do a knee probably wont be for another 2 weeks.. 

I checked on youtube, I cant find good videos that break down the set up and draping in terms of the way that we specifically do it...

I cant tell if I'm all the sudden super slow minded, or its just almost impossible to grasp under these circumstances...

any advice appreciated,

Thank you

On 11/21/2018 at 2:36 PM, LonguylandPA said:

Been Working in ortho spine surgery for the past 4 months. we also do knees and shoulders..

the issue is.. volume of surgeries is low. we do about 2 knees a month, 2 shoulders a month, and 2-4 spines a month (including lumbar , cervical anterior/posteriors so theres really no muscle/mind memory from acute repetition happening

I was thrown into the OR with no experience and believed I would just naturally pick things up..

with volume so low, i've only done about 8 knees, 8 shoulders, and 8 spines.

My surgeon definitely verbalizes the set up to me each time, but in a very big hurry. and theres always equipment missing/malfunctions so it doesnt help the fact that im trying to learn a step by step set up.

Hes told me the past two-three cases that I really need to get the set up/draping down.. and its starting to make me feel inadequate 

Im frustrated because in the moment of setting up/draping, im so focused on not messing up, that I dont really get to internalize what im doing. and by the time ive set things up after being mildly humiliated, im then focused on the surgery so the set up/draping memory goes out the window.. and Its not like I can write down what I just did because by that time im already scrubbed in. 

I did a knee today.. the next time I do a knee probably wont be for another 2 weeks.. 

I checked on youtube, I cant find good videos that break down the set up and draping in terms of the way that we specifically do it...

I cant tell if I'm all the sudden super slow minded, or its just almost impossible to grasp under these circumstances...

any advice appreciated,

Thank you

I'm sure you have things to learn. However, there are those people, and I've met some physicians that way, who find great comfort in making others look stupid. So, if he/she has that tendency, then you will never live up to their praise.

I always had enough respect for my OR Nurses to appreciate their skills and education. I am actually an associate member of AORN as I worked well with five AORN presidents when I was the AAPA Liaison to the American College of Surgeons . I would ask one of the nurses or the nurse educator for a video on these. Skills. Humbling but smart.

Archived