Choosing between Pace University & JMU

I have (thankfully!) been accepted to 2 PA programs - one in-state (JMU) and one out-of-state (Pace University at Lenox-Hill). I seem to go back and forth between the two and I have to make my decision by the end of this week, since that is when Pace's deposit is due (no extension; I already asked).

My biggest concern here is cost vs. location/resources. JMU is significantly cheaper (40K less). Pace has many associated well known hospitals where they send students for rotations. Theoretically this is something to consider since (as we were told by the staff at orientation) clinical preceptors are also potential employers.

JMU is in Harrisonburg, VA, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Their rotations are in rural VA, northern VA (around DC), and some in Kentucky. I did my undergrad 2 hours southwest of JMU (Virginia Tech), and while I loved my time there, I would prefer to be in a city than the middle of nowhere again.  

PROs for JMU:

1) lower cost

2) low cost of living - apartments average $600 per person per month

3)I can live with my parents at home during clinical year since they are in Northern VA

4)Friends, Family, and Boyfriend are 2-3 hours away by car

PROs for Pace:

1) living in Manhattan (I love big cities! But this is also a con - high cost of living; rent will prob be $1250/person/month)

2)extensive network of rotations in tri-state area including NYU Med, Sloan Kettering, etc...

3) Immediate family (sibling) within a block from campus

4) Larger class size. I know some people view this as bad but I love and prefer big schools and big classes

My heart wants Pace but my brain says JMU. It has always been my dream to live in NYC, but I know cost and associated debt is a huge issue. Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

47 minutes ago, mitchenn said:

I have (thankfully!) been accepted to 2 PA programs - one in-state (JMU) and one out-of-state (Pace University at Lenox-Hill). I seem to go back and forth between the two and I have to make my decision by the end of this week, since that is when Pace's deposit is due (no extension; I already asked).

My biggest concern here is cost vs. location/resources. JMU is significantly cheaper (40K less). Pace has many associated well known hospitals where they send students for rotations. Theoretically this is something to consider since (as we were told by the staff at orientation) clinical preceptors are also potential employers.

JMU is in Harrisonburg, VA, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Their rotations are in rural VA, northern VA (around DC), and some in Kentucky. I did my undergrad 2 hours southwest of JMU (Virginia Tech), and while I loved my time there, I would prefer to be in a city than the middle of nowhere again.  

PROs for JMU:

1) lower cost

2) low cost of living - apartments average $600 per person per month

3)I can live with my parents at home during clinical year since they are in Northern VA

4)Friends, Family, and Boyfriend are 2-3 hours away by car

PROs for Pace:

1) living in Manhattan (I love big cities! But this is also a con - high cost of living; rent will prob be $1250/person/month)

2)extensive network of rotations in tri-state area including NYU Med, Sloan Kettering, etc...

3) Immediate family (sibling) within a block from campus

4) Larger class size. I know some people view this as bad but I love and prefer big schools and big classes

My heart wants Pace but my brain says JMU. It has always been my dream to live in NYC, but I know cost and associated debt is a huge issue. Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

If I were you I would go with JMU.

$40k is a lot of money, and the difference in cost will end up being much greater than that. After factoring in cost of living, I would imagine you’ll end up with at least $60k more in loans to attend Pace. When you consider the interest that will be associated with that $60k, it is even more money. 

All that being said, if it’s your dream then go for it. It’s your life, and you only get to make this decision once. Do what makes you happy.

Couple things:

I don't know anything about PACE, but I think you might be underestimating your rent for NYC.  Just be cautious because as you know costs add up fast.

My biggest problem with JMU when I applied a few years ago was that you have to find your own housing for each rotation during clinical year and could very well be moving every 4 weeks depending on your schedule.  Clinicals are stressful enough, I didn't want to have to not only find housing (or couch surf!) but also move all around the state for an entire year.  If you have connections in a variety of cities that might not be as big of a concern for you.

As someone facing down a large 6 figure loan, I would favor going somewhere cheaper.  You could always attempt an elective in NYC and/or find a job there after school.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the PAs I work with has told me that it really doesn't matter where you go to school and that it really takes a weight off your shoulder when you don't have as much debt to pay off. Her friends that went to more expensive programs are still paying off their loans. Two years pass by really quick and you can always find a job in NY after you graduate. 

BUT if you are really set with Pace and that's what you think will make you happy then I say go for it! 

39 minutes ago, Maximoff said:

One of the PAs I work with has told me that it really doesn't matter where you go to school and that it really takes a weight off your shoulder when you don't have as much debt to pay off.

The only thing that really matters is the quality of the didactic education and the rotations. Many newer programs have poor rotation sites/preceptors that they have not worked the kinks out of yet. Established programs have vetted all of their sites and preceptors. I do not know anything about either program considered here.

Archived