How to explain a low GRE score during my interview

Hello everyone!

I wanted some advise from you guys about how I should explain a low GRE score. I have interviews coming up and I know they're going to ask me why my GRE score is so low. My score was a 290 ?.  I've had a few friends that got asked this question at a few schools, but their score was much higher than mine. Any advise??

4 hours ago, MT2PA said:

They won't ask

At one of my interviews I had an interviewer with a list of my application’s “weaknesses.” She asked me to explain each one point by point - lower clinical hours than the other applicants sitting next to me in the group interview (and I had 2500 hours), lower shadowing hours, and not having a letter from a PA (although they didn’t require one). 

I would certainly say that being asked about your GRE score is on the table, although of course it’s not guaranteed. 

You are the only one who can explain your low GRE score. Did you not study properly? Did you struggle with the material? Did you have test anxiety? No matter what you say, make sure you end it with how you’ve improved since then and why those issues won’t be following you to PA school. 

If they are interviewing you, they can't be that concerned about your GRE.  Most programs will tell you it doesn't weigh heavily in their decision making process.  

I guess I just interviewed at programs that used the interview to get to know me vs picking apart an application they had already seen and evaluated themselves.

One of the schools I interviewed asked about low GRE scores.  Someone else interviewing was asked about theirs. When it was my turn to interview the director mentioned she was looking at my score and said nevermind it's good.

So yes, expect to be grilled on your low GRE score, or any weakness in your application.

PS- dont say anything that sounds like an excuse, own up to it, and really think of where you could have gone wrong or done better.

Archived