Accelerated BSN to PA?

I was planning on applying to PA school in the next cycle or the cycle after and I had thought I knew the best way to improve my application, but my best friend had suggested to me another way and now I don't know what to do. 

I am re-taking two courses at community college (Microbiology and Biochemistry) because I got a C in both of those courses. I have worked as an ED medical scribe for 1.5 years now, and I am currently shadowing a dermatology PA. I also volunteer at a hospital and help the nurses and techs with whatever they need. BUT, this volunteering experience kind of sucks because I am not having any contact with patients as I would have hoped for. I want to find true patient contact experience not only because PA programs require it, but also for my own sake because I really want to help people and feel like I am making a difference in someone's life or at least making them smile during their treatment. 

My original plan was to continue volunteering with the nursing staff at a hospital and get my EMT certification in the spring, so that I can work as an ED tech and then apply for PA programs. But then I would have to pay like $1,300 for this class, then get experience as a tech, and that would delay my time to apply. AND, the pay is not so great so I would basically be struggling to pay off my undergrad loans. 

I've been ranting to my best friend about this and she suggested that I do an accelerated nursing program to get my BSN and work as an RN to not only get the experience that I am looking for, but to also pay off more of my undergrad loans before I apply to PA school. 

I have been considering it, but I don't know if this would would be the "right approach" because I'm choosing a different perspective on medicine, even though that is not what I want to do in the long run... This might have sounded confusing and I am so sorry if it is! But basically, I am just wondering if choosing to apply to an accelerated nursing program would be a good idea. I know I would probably have to apply for loans for the accelerated program, but at least I would be working towards a great salary and experience, instead of just relying on my $15 job as a medical scribe. I guess I am also asking for the most efficient way to get experience and improve my application. 

I would love your feedback and I really appreciate you taking the time to read through this because I know this was really long. THANK U! 

1. Volunteering usually doesn't count for PCE (usually)

2. Plenty of nurses go to PA school. Obviously not as many as those that go on to NP programs.

Either route is fine.  Find something that interests you and you'd be willing to do in case it takes a few years to get into PA school.

Here is my take,

$1,300 for an EMT course plus $200~400 for national and state certification/licensure is a whole lot less than spending $30-50K in tuition alone for an ABSN program. I did both (3 months for EMT and 12 months for BSN). ABSN programs are expensive and the return on investment is only great if you spend 2-5 years in the profession while paying off ALL your loans before taking on another 80K-110K in tuition alone for PA school.

On the other hand, new grad nurses make $50-65K right off the bat. Also, the experience you gain as an RN is top notch and is regarded as higher tier patient care experience.

My plan was to work as an MA/ED Tech and apply to PA school but when I noticed my chances of acceptance was slim to nothing during the cycle I hurried and applied to an ABSN program and was luckily accepted. I haven't regretted the decision and looking forward to the work I will do as an RN. But seriously consider all options. It's a hefty financial investment.  

The most efficient and cost-effective route would be EMT (CNA because some hospitals require CNA in order to be an ED Tech) and then apply to PA school. For either route, you'll most likely be delaying applying to PA school because <6 months of experience isn't going to be favorable. 

I would agree with the above. If you want to apply to PA school you will likely have to retake the Micro and Biochem anyway, which it sounds like you are doing. The $1,300 for the EMT class is well worth it to get some good quality experience. You would get good experience as an RN as well it just depends on what you want your time line to be. If you go the RN route I would try to work for a couple years before applying simply to pay down some of the debt. If you go with the EMT option you can apply in the next cycle, or the one after or both with minimal financial impact.

Disclaimer: All of my PCE was as an EMT, I worked both 911 and ED tech positions and took my prerequisites while working full time. My perspective has not changed since starting school and I feel that my EM experience is a massive leg up on many of my classmates in terms of recognizing different conditions or having seen some of the conditions before.

Hope that helps

Financially speaking long term, probably better just to do the EMT. I will say that the experience as a RN is top notch and you could get a job in a specialty in a inpatient specialty so you could have a better idea of what you would like to do and give you an "in" at a place you would want to work after school. If your goal is derm, nursing isn't going to help much in that regard. I've never regretted my nursing experience though. 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:20 PM, Diggy said:

Here is my take,

$1,300 for an EMT course plus $200~400 for national and state certification/licensure is a whole lot less than spending $30-50K in tuition alone for an ABSN program. I did both (3 months for EMT and 12 months for BSN). ABSN programs are expensive and the return on investment is only great if you spend 2-5 years in the profession while paying off ALL your loans before taking on another 80K-110K in tuition alone for PA school.

On the other hand, new grad nurses make $50-65K right off the bat. Also, the experience you gain as an RN is top notch and is regarded as higher tier patient care experience.

My plan was to work as an MA/ED Tech and apply to PA school but when I noticed my chances of acceptance was slim to nothing during the cycle I hurried and applied to an ABSN program and was luckily accepted. I haven't regretted the decision and looking forward to the work I will do as an RN. But seriously consider all options. It's a hefty financial investment.  

The most efficient and cost-effective route would be EMT (CNA because some hospitals require CNA in order to be an ED Tech) and then apply to PA school. For either route, you'll most likely be delaying applying to PA school because <6 months of experience isn't going to be favorable. 

Hi Diggy, 

This was extremely helpful, thank you so much!! I do agree with what you are saying regarding the most efficient and cost-effective route. I applied to be a volunteer with the squad and am waiting to hear back. Assuming that I am accepted, would you say that this is good PCE (even though I don't have the certification)? Or do you suggest I get the certification and get the experience working as an ED tech or EMT? 

I'm just curious because as much as possible, I'm trying to save money in places where I possibly could save. But at the same time, I would invest in getting my EMT cert if it definitely gets me to PA school. 

23 hours ago, PACrankset said:

I would agree with the above. If you want to apply to PA school you will likely have to retake the Micro and Biochem anyway, which it sounds like you are doing. The $1,300 for the EMT class is well worth it to get some good quality experience. You would get good experience as an RN as well it just depends on what you want your time line to be. If you go the RN route I would try to work for a couple years before applying simply to pay down some of the debt. If you go with the EMT option you can apply in the next cycle, or the one after or both with minimal financial impact.

Disclaimer: All of my PCE was as an EMT, I worked both 911 and ED tech positions and took my prerequisites while working full time. My perspective has not changed since starting school and I feel that my EM experience is a massive leg up on many of my classmates in terms of recognizing different conditions or having seen some of the conditions before.

Hope that helps

Hi PACrankset, 

Thanks for your feedback!! I really appreciate it. I applied to be a volunteer with the squad and am waiting to hear back. Assuming that I am accepted, would you say that this is good PCE (even though I don't have the certification)? Or do you suggest I get the certification and get the experience working as an ED tech or EMT? I guess you would probably say getting the cert is better, but I was thinking that if I want to apply next year, I wouldn't have enough time to get the certification and get the experience working. So I had thought that volunteering would fit in my timeline better. But, if getting the cert gets me to PA school, I'm all for it. What do you think? 

19 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Financially speaking long term, probably better just to do the EMT. I will say that the experience as a RN is top notch and you could get a job in a specialty in a inpatient specialty so you could have a better idea of what you would like to do and give you an "in" at a place you would want to work after school. If your goal is derm, nursing isn't going to help much in that regard. I've never regretted my nursing experience though. 

Hi LT_Oneal_PAC, 

I would have loved to get my ABSN if it was not so expensive, especially if I am still trying to pay off my undergrad loans. Thanks for your response! I really appreciated it.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:51 PM, sal257 said:

Hi PACrankset, 

Thanks for your feedback!! I really appreciate it. I applied to be a volunteer with the squad and am waiting to hear back. Assuming that I am accepted, would you say that this is good PCE (even though I don't have the certification)? Or do you suggest I get the certification and get the experience working as an ED tech or EMT? I guess you would probably say getting the cert is better, but I was thinking that if I want to apply next year, I wouldn't have enough time to get the certification and get the experience working. So I had thought that volunteering would fit in my timeline better. But, if getting the cert gets me to PA school, I'm all for it. What do you think? 

Getting into PA school is a marathon no a sprint. You need to plan accordingly and set yourself up to be successful. That might mean applying two or three times. Even if you do have to apply multiple cycles you will still come out ahead of going the ABSN to PA route.

also I would put paid experience over volunteer and spend the money to get the cert.

Archived