Applying to PA school with a mediocre GPA, but tons of HCE

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting here on the forum and was hoping I could get some direction seeing as I have already benefited so much from reading past posts. I just submitted my application for the first time. I have an overall science GPA of 3.31 and my overall non-science is a 3.47. I am 31 years old and have been working as a sonographer for the past five years at a government hospital. I could go into more stats, but my main question has to do with last year’s grades. The last two semesters I withdrew (received a W) from genetics due to my aunt having cancer. I went in with good intentions, but realized I knew I needed to take time off. I mentioned it briefly in my personal statement, but didn’t want to spend much time on it or seem as though I was trying to negate the blame. I know schools look for an upward trend, so my question is will these recent  W’s inhibit my admission? Thank you in advance 

Welcome! I have similar GPA stats to yours, less PCE, and have gotten accepted (plus more interviews coming up!). I do not have any Ws on my transcript, but have seen several posts about getting accepted with more Ws then you have. Have you retaken those classes and gotten As? I doubt that two Ws with clear explanation will seriously hinder your applications competitiveness. 

Thanks for responding. That is so awesome you got accepted, congratulations!!!! I am Re-taking the class (Genetics) right now. So far I have an A *fingers crossed* . My pre-requs thus far for the last 3 years have been micro-A , anatomy-A, physiology-B, molecular cell Biology- B, Gen Chem I- B and A in lab, Gen Chem II- C/ C in both lecture and lab. So ya, I’d like to definitely go in with a 3.5, but hoping my 10,000+ hours of patient care will help me. 

My gpas are both lower than yours. 4000 hours of HCE. I’m currently in year 2 of pa school. Make sure your letters are good. You’d be surprised how many people get bad letters and don’t even know. Have a great PS. It doesn’t need to be perfectly written, but the content needs to be solid. PM me if you have questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Lol0247 said:

Thanks Bubbles ?

Ya I have tried researching schools that have a more holistic approach to accepting potential students. If you know of any off hand I'm all ears!

I don’t know many off of the top of my head, but if you want to stay in your state, start there and research stats of accepted students on the schools’ websites. Also, interview invites have already been extended for this cycle for UNC, but they seem to value PCE. 

Archived