Background screening before interview or acceptance?

I noticed that South University Tampa requires background check/drug test/fingerprinting before the interview (although several people on here still interviewed when their screenings were in progress).

Today, I got an email from University of Tampa (developing program) through Castlebranch, and they are requesting a background screening, but I haven't been invited to an interview.

Is requesting background screening so early a typical thing for PA programs to do? It seems odd, because the screenings usually cost at least $100. 

Also, do applicants typically pay for multiple background screenings, or is Castlebranch used by enough programs that one screening can be used for multiple programs?

Personally, I am not going to follow through with University of Tampa for this reason. $100 is more than any other supplemental application that I have done, and it still does not guarantee an interview. On top of that, even if one gets accepted to UT, they would run the risk of the program not gaining accreditation in March (even though I am sure they will). The whole process just seems kind of weird to me, but honestly, it's entirely your decision! $100 just seems kind of excessive for a potentially unnecessary background screening. Good luck this cycle!

Typically you don't do the background check/screening and such until you have been accepted and plan to enroll.

This is likely a way for programs to filter out applicants (and not a good way frankly).  If you're willing to find the money to pay for this upfront you may be more committed to attending if accepted.  That said, highly desirable, reputable programs don't play this game as far as I know.

You're not referring to South University. It's the University of Tampa that's requiring this. What's even more concerning is they haven't sent any official emails out providing instructions or even a notice of "this is what's happening, this is what you need to do if you're not a Florida resident in order to complete these requirements, etc." It's incredibly last minute and unprofessional in my opinion. I'm still going to do it, but I don't like it. Right now my goal is simply an acceptance. I'll cross the bridge of which programs I do and don't drop, take interviews for, or quit jumping through these hoops for after I get my first acceptance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 10:37 PM, Ollivander said:

You're not referring to South University. It's the University of Tampa that's requiring this. What's even more concerning is they haven't sent any official emails out providing instructions or even a notice of "this is what's happening, this is what you need to do if you're not a Florida resident in order to complete these requirements, etc." It's incredibly last minute and unprofessional in my opinion. I'm still going to do it, but I don't like it. Right now my goal is simply an acceptance. I'll cross the bridge of which programs I do and don't drop, take interviews for, or quit jumping through these hoops for after I get my first acceptance.

South University at Tampa did also require us to complete a background check before the interview and it was about $150. I hate that I wasted the money to complete the background check there as the interview was terrible. However, I felt the same way you did, acceptance is the goal, I can't get picky until I get one! 

Oh and to answer the OP no, this is not typical practice to ask for a background before the interview. Idk what's going on in Tampa lol

Archived