Are NP's taking over hospitals?

I'm searching for jobs for the first time in years and it seems like most hospital positions are advertised for NP's, with the exception of ER and surgical specialties. Mind you, I am in a very PA friendly state. It seems that nurses are pushing us out despite us having superior training.

The PA party line was always people will see us do the best work, improving our standing on individual level, which will lead to awareness and advance our profession. It’s not true. Administrators who do the hiring are not watching your clinical acumen at the bedside and they aren’t seeing your RVUs billed under the physician. All the administrators see is that you aren’t independent and hear the MD grumbling about signing other’s charts without extra money in their pocket.

My area is pretty evenly split as far as inpatient positions, I would say.  Even though this area is absolutely overloaded with PA programs.  The ICUs are >98% NPs.  Hospitalists are probably 60% NPs and 40% PAs.  Surgical specialties are >98% PAs (or higher, haha).  ER is split 50/50 NPs and PAs.  Other inpatient medical specialties are pretty evenly split as well.  

Archived