Thinking about CRNA.. Your thoughts

I completed a Dual NP/PA program a couple years ago and although I enjoy my job, I am really considering doing a CRNA program. Your thoughts? If you could do it, would you? I would pay for the program with my savings and keep working part time during the first year as a lot of the masters of science in nursing classes I took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was formerly in CRNA school. Great gig. Time off, no call. You’d have return on your investment in about 1 year depending on tuition. My personality just did not fit in the OR. I loved what I did, just could not stand surgeons and not much of the other staff either. They all are very opinionated people who think there way is best, even in confrontation of evidence. Had plenty tell me the evidence and then do the opposite saying “this is the way I’ve always done it” as if that’s a valid reason. Couldn’t do the anesthesia care team model. 

but if you think you have thicker skin then me, I would go for it.

I think it is a booming profession. They suffer some of the same issues we do (CRNA isn't an anesthesiologist, AAs want to take your place etc) which brings politics into play. I think that is unavoidable at this point no matter what you do in medicine.

On the upside your patients are mostly asleep......

Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of panic. That being said, it is a good lifestyle, scope of practice, and financial return on investment. If you work in an independent state you can contract with rural hospitals and be paid regular wages (>$100/hr) to be available on call from home. I work at 2 rural facilities and have never seen an MD anesthesiologist at either. Ours are scheduled for regular elective cases, but also take call at full salary to be available for sedations, emergent procedures, etc. I am sure they all make well north of 300k/yr because of this. 

If I had the option I would consider it. I looked into AA school while applying to PA schools, decided against it for a variety of reasons. CRNA pay is awesome, no call, well-regulated work hours and all that.

As mentioned you'd have to like the OR environment though. I did not. Too many rules and regs and asshat personalities.

Archived