I am a PA with 8 years experience in pediatrics (outpatient). I've been toying a little with the idea of going for the CAQ and was wondering if anyone who had gone through the process would be willing to share their experience?  My husband is the primary breadwinner in our family and as such I'm sort of at the mercy of his career in terms of where we live, how often we move around, etc.  I was thinking having the CAQ would be helpful when moving to a new state, trying to get a new job etc. 

My biggest question is in regards to the procedures/patient case requirement. Because I work in an outpatient clinic, we rarely perform procedures such IV medication administration, LPs and we certainly never perform central lines or intubate.  Does this exclude me? How does this work- would I need to get experience in these areas before I can be considered for this qualification?

Thanks. Any insight is much appreciated.

I did the EM CAQ in 2011. The procedure requirement says basically that you have been trained in the procedure and understand its application. If you have acls and pals that basically covers it for the emergent stuff. If you were trained to do LPs and the other stuff at any point in any cme course you should be fine. If there is a specific procedure you lack, take a quickie cme course at a conference or have someone train you. I felt the CAQ was fairly easy. I didn't study for it. I figured after 20+ years working in the specialty I shouldn't have to study for a test that requires only 1800 hours of work experience and a few cme courses. There were a few fairly esoteric critical care questions on ours regarding inpatient management, and those are probably the ones I missed.

I am a big fan of the CAQs. It certainly sets you apart. At this point I think I am still the only EM PA in my state to have taken and passed it.

Archived