What are my chances of getting into PA school?

• Undergrad GPA: 3.68
  • Science GPA: 3.40
  • Undergrad Major: psychology
  • Years since graduation: 3 years
  • Employment: open heart room technician (cell savers, balloon pump technician, perfusion assistant) ~5000 hours
  • My goals: My goal in life is to work in the medicine. The open heart room is intense and if I can survive that, I should make it in health care I would guess.
  • Volunteer: New Orleans (post Katrina clean-up), Haiti earthquake relief, boystown supervisor for 1 summer
  • Shadowing PA: I work with them daily
  • GRE: according to the old scale 1250, essay 4.5
  • Letter of recommendations: From an MDA, Chief Perfusionist, and PA
  • Prereq: I have everything but Microbiology

I think that should be everything. Do I have a chance of getting in? I work with people who really struggled to get in so I fear the worst. Thanks in advance!

• Undergrad GPA: 3.68
  • Science GPA: 3.40
  • Undergrad Major: psychology
  • Years since graduation: 3 years
  • Employment: open heart room technician (cell savers, balloon pump technician, perfusion assistant) ~5000 hours
  • My goals: My goal in life is to work in the medicine. The open heart room is intense and if I can survive that, I should make it in health care I would guess.
  • Volunteer: New Orleans (post Katrina clean-up), Haiti earthquake relief, boystown supervisor for 1 summer
  • Shadowing PA: I work with them daily
  • GRE: according to the old scale 1250, essay 4.5
  • Letter of recommendations: From an MDA, Chief Perfusionist, and PA
  • Prereq: I have everything but Microbiology

I think that should be everything. Do I have a chance of getting in? I work with people who really struggled to get in so I fear the worst. Thanks in advance!

Chances are slim to none. All sarcasm aside, have you even tried looking at the PA applicants thread or going to the websites of the schools you're interested in to see the typical profile of those that matriculate? You're solid, but I have to put into question your maturity level after asking a question like this.

Chances are slim to none. All sarcasm aside, have you even tried looking at the PA applicants thread or going to the websites of the schools you're interested in to see the typical profile of those that matriculate? You're solid, but I have to put into question your maturity level after asking a question like this.

Anyway.. The only thing I would suggest is some more volunteer hours. Even like 3 hours a week at a local food bank or something, just some consistent service opportunity. Other than that you have good stats! Make sure you have a great essay and practice for interviews! Best of luck!

Anyway.. The only thing I would suggest is some more volunteer hours. Even like 3 hours a week at a local food bank or something, just some consistent service opportunity. Other than that you have good stats! Make sure you have a great essay and practice for interviews! Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been searching for programs and some do not contain average GPA's or science GPA's and others that do post them seem ridiculously high (like the University of Idaho for example). I never meant to offend anyone by posting my numbers. I just needed to know my chances given I practically killed myself to get the profile I have right now, like everyone else on here I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been searching for programs and some do not contain average GPA's or science GPA's and others that do post them seem ridiculously high (like the University of Idaho for example). I never meant to offend anyone by posting my numbers. I just needed to know my chances given I practically killed myself to get the profile I have right now, like everyone else on here I suppose.

You sound like an excellent candidate! My only advice would be to get some shadowing in anyway. I am in the same position as you, where I've worked directly with no less than 7 PA's over 10 years total; but because I never shadowed any of them off the clock, it never technically met the definition of "shadowing" & meant one less checkbox done compared to other applicants. I am of the opinion that working directly with PA's is more valuable than shadowing, but in this day & age you want to make yourself as attractive as possible in every category, & the computer system that tallies the points & does the algorithms doesn't think like we do. Talk to some of the PA's you work with & see what you can work out. Maybe some of them will agree that the time you spent observing them & grilling them about the profession constitutes shadowing, or maybe you'll have to do some of it off the clock. But, whatever you do, try not to leave the shadowing section of your app empty because you sorta did it during HCE. That could be the difference of you getting in or not. Good Luck!

You sound like an excellent candidate! My only advice would be to get some shadowing in anyway. I am in the same position as you, where I've worked directly with no less than 7 PA's over 10 years total; but because I never shadowed any of them off the clock, it never technically met the definition of "shadowing" & meant one less checkbox done compared to other applicants. I am of the opinion that working directly with PA's is more valuable than shadowing, but in this day & age you want to make yourself as attractive as possible in every category, & the computer system that tallies the points & does the algorithms doesn't think like we do. Talk to some of the PA's you work with & see what you can work out. Maybe some of them will agree that the time you spent observing them & grilling them about the profession constitutes shadowing, or maybe you'll have to do some of it off the clock. But, whatever you do, try not to leave the shadowing section of your app empty because you sorta did it during HCE. That could be the difference of you getting in or not. Good Luck!

I got in with stats way below these, so numbers likely won't be your problem.

I feel like my application and interview made all the difference in my acceptance. I had an interviewer say "I knew you were our guy when you walked in," so make sure you nail that interview (which you should get with these numbers).

I got in with stats way below these, so numbers likely won't be your problem.

I feel like my application and interview made all the difference in my acceptance. I had an interviewer say "I knew you were our guy when you walked in," so make sure you nail that interview (which you should get with these numbers).

I am going to disagree with top, your time is better spent elsewhere imo.

Just to clarify - I'm not suggesting a lot of time be spent shadowing when it's essentially been done already as part of HCE. I'm saying do what you've got to do in order to have that part of the app filled in. Spending a couple hours a day for a week with a PA is not enough time to take away from other endeavors that will help one get into school. I'm just saying it's a good idea to make sure all your bases are covered & to not take anything for granted.

I am going to disagree with top, your time is better spent elsewhere imo.

Just to clarify - I'm not suggesting a lot of time be spent shadowing when it's essentially been done already as part of HCE. I'm saying do what you've got to do in order to have that part of the app filled in. Spending a couple hours a day for a week with a PA is not enough time to take away from other endeavors that will help one get into school. I'm just saying it's a good idea to make sure all your bases are covered & to not take anything for granted.

OP...RE shadowing: I wouldn't bother shadowing unless you are interested in a school that has a shadowing requirement or you just really want to. The point of doing so is to get insight into the profession but it's moot if you interact with PAs on a daily basis and understand the role.

Archived