What are my chances?

Hi guys!

I wanted to know what you guys thought my chances were at getting into a PA program. I applied to 8 schools already, and Im just so nervous because I know my grades aren't too competitive.

My cumulative gpa is 3.39, and my cumulative science is a 3.16. I have over 7,000 hours as a medical assistant, and about 500 hours volunteering. I did a post bacc this past year (only 18 credits are included on CASPA and I got a 4.0 in it). I took the GRE and got 151q/150v/4.0writing. I am missing a prereq (Anatomy and Physiology I) but I am registered to take it in the Fall.

I applied early to these programs:

University of Bridgeport
University of St Joseph
Saint Francis University
University of Charleston
Emory University
Quinnipiac University
Temple University
St. John's University

Any ideas on any of these programs? Any schools that you think I should apply to as a suggestion (where I might be competitive at?). Im really anxious and Im kind of doing this with really no sense of direction.

Your grades are fine. Not having Anatomy and Physiology is a killer though. You will need A&P 1 and 2, which means you’re missing out on 2 prerequisites. Generally they pick students who already fulfill the requirements for interviews. You would have a great shot of receiving interview invites if that prerequisite was already done especially with all your hours. You could try to take it over the summer and apply to schools that aren’t rolling admissions when you finish. It’s totally possible you can receive invites, but those are major classes you are missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Bf555 said:

Your grades are fine. Not having Anatomy and Physiology is a killer though. You will need A&P 1 and 2, which means you’re missing out on 2 prerequisites. Generally they pick students who already fulfill the requirements for interviews. You would have a great shot of receiving interview invites if that prerequisite was already done especially with all your hours. You could try to take it over the summer and apply to schools that aren’t rolling admissions when you finish. It’s totally possible you can receive invites, but those are major classes you are missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! So I actually took the 2nd prerequisite (my school didn't require the first for the second- its weird). Do you think having only 1 prereq pending is just as bad? Thank you so much for the feedback!!

1 hour ago, PrePA94 said:

Hey! So I actually took the 2nd prerequisite (my school didn't require the first for the second- its weird). Do you think having only 1 prereq pending is just as bad? Thank you so much for the feedback!!

Having 1 prereq pending when applying is fine. Given weak sGPA and pending prereq being a foundational course, I could see adcoms being concerned, especially if you didn't do really well in A&P II.

Overall when looking at stats I would say that sGPA is definitely on the low side. cGPA is average to low depending on the program. GRE is on the lower side of average. Academics as a whole are probably on the lower side of average to below average. PCE looks strong as does volunteering. With this in mind look for programs that emphasize clinical experience as opposed to academics.

Best thing to do is look at class profiles for schools you are applying to and evaluate yourself against the provided stats... Take emory for example:

Avg overall GPA 3.57 - Below average 
Avg science GPA 3.51 - Pretty far below average 
Avg GRE: 154 Verbal, 151 Quant, 4.1 Writing - Average/Below average
Avg HCE hours: 7,512 (Range 2,033-69,888) - Average

With this in mind you're not very competitive for Emory unless you feel that you strongly fit their mission. That doesn't mean you won't get an interview, it just means that it will be harder to do so. PS and LORs can go a long way. Make sure these are strong.

Remember that many schools highly value fit, so in addition to class profiles look at mission statements to see if you align with the values of each program.

Apply broadly and I would expect you to snag a few interviews! Good luck.

16 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

Having 1 prereq pending when applying is fine. Given weak sGPA and pending prereq being a foundational course, I could see adcoms being concerned, especially if you didn't do really well in A&P II.

Overall when looking at stats I would say that sGPA is definitely on the low side. cGPA is average to low depending on the program. GRE is on the lower side of average. Academics as a whole are probably on the lower side of average to below average. PCE looks strong as does volunteering. With this in mind look for programs that emphasize clinical experience as opposed to academics.

Best thing to do is look at class profiles for schools you are applying to and evaluate yourself against the provided stats... Take emory for example:

Avg overall GPA 3.57 - Below average 
Avg science GPA 3.51 - Pretty far below average 
Avg GRE: 154 Verbal, 151 Quant, 4.1 Writing - Average/Below average
Avg HCE hours: 7,512 (Range 2,033-69,888) - Average

With this in mind you're not very competitive for Emory unless you feel that you strongly fit their mission. That doesn't mean you won't get an interview, it just means that it will be harder to do so. PS and LORs can go a long way. Make sure these are strong.

Remember that many schools highly value fit, so in addition to class profiles look at mission statements to see if you align with the values of each program.

Apply broadly and I would expect you to snag a few interviews! Good luck.

Thank you so much! I don't know too many other schools that I could find that I would be considered "competitive" at. I did receiver an A in A&P2. My grades have an upward trend (idk if that's important for PA school). Im just trying to apply early now and see!

22 minutes ago, PrePA94 said:

Thank you so much! I don't know too many other schools that I could find that I would be considered "competitive" at. I did receiver an A in A&P2. My grades have an upward trend (idk if that's important for PA school). Im just trying to apply early now and see!

Upward trend will help. Some schools look at your last 45 semester credits as opposed to your cGPA. Maybe consider applying to some of these programs if there is a significant difference in those GPAs.

2 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

Upward trend will help. Some schools look at your last 45 semester credits as opposed to your cGPA. Maybe consider applying to some of these programs if there is a significant difference in those GPAs.

Absolutely! Ive been doing my research and a school I found was EVMS. Because they do not utilize rolling admission, I plan to only apply to them if I don't hear back from anything else sooner. Any advice on schools I should apply to? Ive been working as a MA for the past 4 years, and have been saving money for this very moment.. so Im willing to apply to as many schools as I need to inorder to get accepted into one.

Thank you for your feedback and help!

36 minutes ago, PrePA94 said:

Absolutely! Ive been doing my research and a school I found was EVMS. Because they do not utilize rolling admission, I plan to only apply to them if I don't hear back from anything else sooner. Any advice on schools I should apply to? Ive been working as a MA for the past 4 years, and have been saving money for this very moment.. so Im willing to apply to as many schools as I need to inorder to get accepted into one.

Thank you for your feedback and help!

Someone else is probably better suited for advice on specific programs. You could search low GPA threads. There are programs that are well known for a more holistic approach and they’re mentioned often when people ask about overcoming low GPAs. 

I am in the opposite situation, really strong academics with more average to below average clinical experience, so all the programs I’m informed about wouldn’t be a great fit! 

I personally think your 7k hours as an MA is a good amount, especially if you are still working as one since some programs will consider the hours by the time you interview or matriculate.

I had a 3.2 GPA overall for both science and cumulative with 4k hours of PCE, 60hrs volunteering at a free clinic, with a 309 GRE and I am currently in PA school.

Just research the schools you plan on applying to and check those stats of accepted students, sometimes that info is provided. With strong LOR's and strong personal statement you can definitely get interviews. If you can bump that 3.16 to a 3.2 if you have to apply another cycle.

Be smart with choosing the schools where your stats fall in line with previously accepted students.

Lastly, today in class, some of the professors mentioned that they get a lot of letters of rec stating that they would not recommend an applicant to attend PA school. So yes knowing who writes your letters and the quality of the letter makes a big deal and will give you that extra bump when it comes to low gpa'ers like you and me.

Guest blee100
18 minutes ago, JD2012 said:

I personally think your 7k hours as an MA is a good amount, especially if you are still working as one since some programs will consider the hours by the time you interview or matriculate.

I had a 3.2 GPA overall for both science and cumulative with 4k hours of PCE, 60hrs volunteering at a free clinic, with a 309 GRE and I am currently in PA school.

Just research the schools you plan on applying to and check those stats of accepted students, sometimes that info is provided. With strong LOR's and strong personal statement you can definitely get interviews. If you can bump that 3.16 to a 3.2 if you have to apply another cycle.

Be smart with choosing the schools where your stats fall in line with previously accepted students.

Lastly, today in class, some of the professors mentioned that they get a lot of letters of rec stating that they would not recommend an applicant to attend PA school. So yes knowing who writes your letters and the quality of the letter makes a big deal and will give you that extra bump when it comes to low gpa'ers like you and me.

Hey just curious on why your professor said they would not recommend an applicant to attend pa school ? 

2 hours ago, blee100 said:

Hey just curious on why your professor said they would not recommend an applicant to attend pa school ? 

Not the professor, the person who wrote the letter of recommendation for the person applying. They wrote that the person applying is not suited for PA school. These professors read the applications and say this happens quite often, surprisingly.

This is why I tell people you should be sure of the relationship you have with the person writing your letter of recommendation. Doesnt matter if you have a 4.0 if those LOR's are terrible you will drastically reduce the chance of an interview.

As someone with low GPA, you need to make the rest of your application glow so brightly that it distracts them from your GPA. GRE, LOR's, personal statement, etc..

With your GPA on the lower side and you looking for schools who will care about your upward trend. There are a list of schools that will evaluate your last 45-60 credits over your cumulative GPA. Not all of these programs use it as a replacement GPA, they just believe in strong upward trends. Here's a list:

EVMS, Wayne State University, University of Washington -Medex, University of North Carolina, Pacific University, University of New Mexico (Chances are slim unless you're a resident of NM), Case Western University, Campbell University, Western Michigan University, North Greenville University, University of North Dakota.

I haven't evaluated each student profile page at each school, but this will just give you some guidance in narrowing it down. Good luck!

18 hours ago, JD2012 said:

That is incredibly unprofessional of the LOR writers. It is a pretty common idea to politely decline writing a LOR for someone who you cannot, in good faith, provide a positive review for. I feel for those applicants...they probably will never even find out about it.

7 hours ago, johncfl said:

With your GPA on the lower side and you looking for schools who will care about your upward trend. There are a list of schools that will evaluate your last 45-60 credits over your cumulative GPA. Not all of these programs use it as a replacement GPA, they just believe in strong upward trends. Here's a list:

EVMS, Wayne State University, University of Washington -Medex, University of North Carolina, Pacific University, University of New Mexico (Chances are slim unless you're a resident of NM), Case Western University, Campbell University, Western Michigan University, North Greenville University, University of North Dakota.

I haven't evaluated each student profile page at each school, but this will just give you some guidance in narrowing it down. Good luck!

Pacific has a soft 3.2 GPA cut off for both sGPA and last 45 GPA. Unless last 45 is a 4.0 I would not apply there as they value GPA over everything. Their process does not favor high PCE applicants. We were told at their open house that they would rather you have a high GPA and 1,000 hours than a low GPA and 10,000 hours. 

Edit: Also MEDEX significantly favors WA residents or those with strong ties to WWAMI region. If you have ties in these states or are a resident this could be a good fit. If not it's a long shot. 

2 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

Pacific has a soft 3.2 GPA cut off for both sGPA and last 45 GPA. Unless last 45 is a 4.0 I would not apply there as they value GPA over everything. Their process does not favor high PCE applicants. We were told at their open house that they would rather you have a high GPA and 1,000 hours than a low GPA and 10,000 hours. 

Good to know! Thanks!

20 hours ago, Cadapter said:

That is incredibly unprofessional of the LOR writers. It is a pretty common idea to politely decline writing a LOR for someone who you cannot, in good faith, provide a positive review for. I feel for those applicants...they probably will never even find out about it.

Yes, the professors said that they would decline instead of doing that. At the same time a lot of the LOR's mentioned the applicant was always on the phone, rude, talked back etc.. 

And yes there are schools out there that will state 3.0 min GPA to apply BUT they have an internal cut-off at 3.20 not stated on the website. This is the case for anyone looking at Barry University in Florida. One of my current classmates knows one of the faculty on the admissions committee that mentioned this. This is why it is also important to get both GPAs into that 3.2 threshold.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, JD2012 said:

Hello-

Thank you SO much for your suggestion. I will definitely be doing all that's in my power to get over the 3.2 gpa hump. Im currently taking 2 courses which end at the end of June (im doing a post bacc), and I expect to get A's in them. If things go as planned, my science gpa will be a 3.2. The reason I thought to apply this semester is because Seton Hall utilizes overall (3.4) and prereq (3.55). Like I mentioned, I still unfortunately have a pending prerequisite. My GRE was not nearly as awesome as yours (301)! But nonetheless we will see. Im going to be trying to apply to more schools, but ultimately we will see.

Archived