I just wanted to gain some feedback on GRE scores. I scored very low on mine. Well below the 50th percentile on verbal and math. I did average on writing. My question is I am ready to submit my application this week because the earlier the better. If I send my scores to schools but plan to take again this Summer, will schools still look at my application or can I still get prescreened for not having that combined 300 score? 

I think it depends on the specific school. There are, to my knowledge, schools out there that have hard cut offs for the GRE. Some schools have a "soft cut off," usually described as "a competitive applicant will have GRE scores above X percentile." 

Unless a school specifically mentions a hard cut off, I don't think your application will be immediately tossed. I too struggled with the GRE because I don't do well on standardized tests and I haven't seen the math in over 10 years. I scored 147Q/155V, so a 302 total. Obviously my math portion is well below average (I think the 37th percentile???), but I am still applying to schools which require the GRE. 

As for if schools will look at your second score, I am not sure. I would reach out to specific schools and ask. I have personally never heard of a school basing an admission on a pending new GRE score, but I could be proven wrong.

• Like 1

I think this depends on a few different things. You're going to have to give us more stats to get a better picture of your overall application.

If schools have hard cutoffs and you fall below those you will be screened out. 

For schools that consider the GRE you will need to make up for it elsewhere. Low GRE scores + Low or borderline GPA would definitely be a red flag. If you have a great GPA I could see this being overlooked. 

Also, what's your PCE like? Weak GRE with great PCE would be fine for some programs. Each school will evaluate you differently. 

• 3 weeks later...

My cumulative undergrad and science GPA are 3.6

Direct patient care experience - 2,000 hours

Shadowing - 400 hours

hospital volunteer - 100 hours

I was a Teaching Assistant at PSU who I received my LOR from as well as a surgeon and PA I work with.

I work in Mohs surgery, dermatology, and shadowed in the emergency department and trauma.

What were your verbal and quant scores exactly?

I think with your stats as long as your GRE isn’t absolutely terrible and you apply to programs without minimum score requirements you would get interviews. 

The bottom line is that if schools you want to attend have hard cutoffs and you fall below those you will be screened out. There is no way around that. 

Your GRE will likely screen you out of a lot of programs especially considering the rest of your app doesn't scream 'impressive'. Hurry up and retake the GRE then submit.  It's barely June, if you can get it in this month or early July you're still in a decent submission window.

I already submitted application last week because only half of my schools I’m applying require the GRE... I am retaking this Summer and have already told those schools I will be. But for the schools that don’t require GRE, how do my stats match up? 

Im wondering what some of your thoughts might be about my situation.

I was scoring in the 505 to 508 range for all of my practice test, but when I took it today, I scored 298 (147 v and 151Q). I'm honestly quite shocked considering my prior performances...

Would it be advisable to take it again? With the current score, I have one school that has a hard cut off. I'm quite nervous about the other schools as well now, since some of them have higher admissions statistics.

As for my other stats.

Cumulative GPA: 3.95 Science GPA: 3.95

Number of hours and type of PCE: Physical Therapist Aide 2080 Hrs. ER Medical Scribe ~2000 Hrs.

Number of hours and type of HCE: Elementary School Health Room Assistant 150 Hrs.

Number of hours and type of non-clinical volunteering: ~138 Hrs. Charity basketball program I run (~50 Hrs still active) Assisting in an outreach program for underserved areas (~80 Hrs, still active), Parkinson's Walk Volunteer (8 Hrs.).

Number of hours of PA shadowing: 0, but I work alongside them during my time as a medical scribe.

Number of hours of other physician/healthcare shadowing: Pediatrician: 150 hrs. Family Med: 20 Hrs. Spent 2 years writing notes for MD's.

Other Notable activities: I am a substitute teacher that has been part time teaching K-12 for the past 2 years. ~1000 Hrs. I am also AHA BCLS certified.

Edited by xxxrj

Your stats are extremely high. You only fell short by 2 on the GRE since most schools require 300 combined. I have seen some schools that say 295-298 however or just 50th percentile to be competitive. If they don’t have a strict cut off then you should be fine considering your high GPA. But I’m not sure how you performed 500 on practice tests? The verbal and Q are only out of 170?

7 hours ago, xxxrj said:

Im wondering what some of your thoughts might be about my situation.

I was scoring in the 505 to 508 range for all of my practice test, but when I took it today, I scored 298 (147 v and 151Q). I'm honestly quite shocked considering my prior performances...

Either you've made typos or you were taking practice tests from several years ago because the maximum GRE score these days is 340 (170 for each section)

Guest HanSolo

Re: xxxrj

Consider what the purpose of the GRE is for admissions. It's a proxy for how well you perform on standardized exams (i.e. the PANCE) compared to your peers. Considering the vast amount of resources available to prepare one for the GRE, one should be able to achieve a score above 300. If I were to see someone with such a high undergraduate GPA but sub-300 GRE score, I would wonder what was going on. Low scores seem out of character for you. 

Guest blee100
54 minutes ago, HanSolo said:

Re: xxxrj

Consider what the purpose of the GRE is for admissions. It's a proxy for how well you perform on standardized exams (i.e. the PANCE) compared to your peers. Considering the vast amount of resources available to prepare one for the GRE, one should be able to achieve a score above 300. If I were to see someone with such a high undergraduate GPA but sub-300 GRE score, I would wonder what was going on. Low scores seem out of character for you. 

Isn't the PANCE like questions that actually relate to the topics we learned in PA school ? Not like geometry that we haven't taken since sophomore year of high school. 

Guest HanSolo
47 minutes ago, blee100 said:

Isn't the PANCE like questions that actually relate to the topics we learned in PA school ? Not like geometry that we haven't taken since sophomore year of high school. 

I think I get what you are trying to say here. Yes, there are some basic concepts like geometry on the GRE, but that should be easy to review for, right? You've already taken the class. I'm not saying the GRE is a great measure of success here. However, it is what some programs use, and one purpose they use it for is to see if you can take a standardized test. Doing worse than half of the other people taking the exam isn't exactly awe-inspiring. 

Also, you'll have to re-certify someday by taking the PANRE. You can't just say, "well that was something I learned years ago in PA school, not something I have used in practice." 

As many of you pointed out, I made a typo with the scores. Meant to report 305-308.

I understand that the test score doesn't reflect my performances during school. I was honestly shocked by them as well considering my prior performances. I'm more than sure it was a fluke, but the schools that I am applying to wont know that.

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, hmtpnw said:

But the GRE is much more simple than the PANCE. If you struggle with standardize testing for simple material it will likely be harder for you to pass other tests that are more difficult. 

That’s not totally true, I’ve taken 5 state boards, (1 pharmacy, 3 resporatory and 1 cardiac) and have passed all 5 on the first try. However, the GRE, has been difficult to me because the topics aren’t relevant to my study.