Questions about quitting

Hello!

Just writing to find out about quitting a job. I won't get into the details but I'm asking to plan for what could be ahead. The letter of offer I signed was salary for a year. The language about quitting is as followed:

The Physician Assistant or the Corporation may terminate this
agreement, with or without cause, upon sixty (60) days written notice to the other.

When I signed the stack of papers to get started, I believe I also saw something that said either party can terminate at any time during the first 6 months, which it is, so this seems conflicting? This job has been rocky from the start, and at one point the office manager said "our relationship is at a breaking point", during a conflict so it seems like it can be broken at any time.

I'm just wondering if there are any consequences of quitting with a letter of offer, would I need to pay back x amount of money, or pay them back for DEA fees, etc.

I would never use them as a reference, I'm already aware of this and the jobs I have applied to already understands that things can happen.

It's just a toxic job so I'm just planning ahead!

Thanks!

I must be missing something.  Your statement says sixty days notice by either party.  Why not give a sixty day notice and if they let you go sooner, assuming that you’re financially prepared for it, so be it?  No, I wouldn’t think that you’re obligated for any fees that they paid toward your performing said job duties unless your contract explicitly states otherwise.

3 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I must be missing something.  Your statement says sixty days notice by either party.  Why not give a sixty day notice and if they let you go sooner, assuming that you’re financially prepared for it, so be it?  No, I wouldn’t think that you’re obligated for any fees that they paid toward your performing said job duties unless your contract explicitly states otherwise.

I'm wondering the consequences of quitting on a shorter notice; I'm looking for another position, if said position needs a sooner start I'm wondering how it would play out you know?

On 5/13/2018 at 5:08 PM, Monte said:

I'm wondering the consequences of quitting on a shorter notice; I'm looking for another position, if said position needs a sooner start I'm wondering how it would play out you know?

It could be a nonstarter.  If your contract says 60 days, you give 60 days.  Most new employers understand that contracts require notice.  If you try to leave your current job sooner it's breach of contract and who knows what could happen.  However considering it is a mutually toxic situation, there's a chance they won't try to enforce it.  You need to read your contact and see what is says about breaking the contract.  If it doesn't say anything, you need to consult a lawyer to find out what sort of recourse there could be should you try to leave with less than 60 days notice.

Your other option is to put in 60 days now and hope that a new job pans out, assuming you can afford this option, which would likely avoid most issues.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:08 PM, Monte said:

Your contract should outline the consequences of breach. If it doesn’t then there’s no consequence other than potential professional backlash if they get talkative.

you need a professional to look over your contract

Archived