Getting bad grades removed from transcript?

At a previous school I attended, I got an F in Chemistry due to a really rough time in my life...my Grandmother (whom I was close with) died in a car accident right around the end of the semester before finals. I was mentally and emotionally a mess and only 19 at the time. I didn't know how to handle it, and I bombed my final. I tried explaining to the teacher, but she didn't give a s***. My Calc professor gave me a UW so that I could avoid another F on my transcript.

I'd really like to somehow write a letter or petition those grades. It was in the Fall semester of 2009 and I just wish there was a way to get the F off of my record, because it is really bringing down my GPA.

At a previous school I attended, I got an F in Chemistry due to a really rough time in my life...my Grandmother (whom I was close with) died in a car accident right around the end of the semester before finals. I was mentally and emotionally a mess and only 19 at the time. I didn't know how to handle it, and I bombed my final. I tried explaining to the teacher, but she didn't give a s***. My Calc professor gave me a UW so that I could avoid another F on my transcript.

I'd really like to somehow write a letter or petition those grades. It was in the Fall semester of 2009 and I just wish there was a way to get the F off of my record, because it is really bringing down my GPA.

At most schools, you are out of luck. The argument you will have to counter is why did not not take appropriate action when the bad stuff was going on? Did you even tell your instructor? Why did you not withdraw from the course? Did you ask for an extension? Try for an incomplete?

You need to do everything in your power to keep bad ink off your transcript. Once it is there, it is almost always permanent..

At most schools, you are out of luck. The argument you will have to counter is why did not not take appropriate action when the bad stuff was going on? Did you even tell your instructor? Why did you not withdraw from the course? Did you ask for an extension? Try for an incomplete?

You need to do everything in your power to keep bad ink off your transcript. Once it is there, it is almost always permanent..

Your larger problem is the UW. Most major Universities use the scale of W (Withdrawal), F (Fail) or UW (University Withdrawal). A W is given when a student goes to the Registrar and withdraws from the class for whatever reason. It means simply that you did not complete the course BUT you informed the University after the date provided for dropping the class. 'Fail' means that you stuck with the course but were not able to achieve the required competency to earn a higher grade.

That leaves us with UW. University Withdrawal is usually reserved for a student that not only failed to achieve the required competency, but they also did not even make the effort to even COMPLETE the course. For example, if a class has 10 required exams to receive full credit they may also have a base requirement that you TAKE 6 of the 10 exams to even qualify to receive your grade. So if a student attended the class, took the first 5 exams, then for some reason stopped going to class, did not withdraw through the Registrar, and did not complete the last 5 exams then that student would be given a UW. This is the schools way of saying something like "The student quit the class without telling us why and without withdrawing". Emphasis on the word QUIT.

By that reasoning, the UW is actually a worse mark on your record than the F. You need to appeal to your University with proof of your grandmothers passing along with a letter requesting consideration due to personal hardship. You can request to have your grade changed from a UW to a W (The F can't be changed, sorry). The caveat is that many Universities will require the professor that issued the UW to sign off on the grade change. If you went to a large University you may just be another face in the crowd.

You have a lot of red tape to wade through. The UW can be changed to a W, you will then have to retake the course. The W will remain on your permanent record. You have little to no recourse for the F beyond retaking the class and doing well to prove that you have mastered the material. Good Luck.

Your larger problem is the UW. Most major Universities use the scale of W (Withdrawal), F (Fail) or UW (University Withdrawal). A W is given when a student goes to the Registrar and withdraws from the class for whatever reason. It means simply that you did not complete the course BUT you informed the University after the date provided for dropping the class. 'Fail' means that you stuck with the course but were not able to achieve the required competency to earn a higher grade.

That leaves us with UW. University Withdrawal is usually reserved for a student that not only failed to achieve the required competency, but they also did not even make the effort to even COMPLETE the course. For example, if a class has 10 required exams to receive full credit they may also have a base requirement that you TAKE 6 of the 10 exams to even qualify to receive your grade. So if a student attended the class, took the first 5 exams, then for some reason stopped going to class, did not withdraw through the Registrar, and did not complete the last 5 exams then that student would be given a UW. This is the schools way of saying something like "The student quit the class without telling us why and without withdrawing". Emphasis on the word QUIT.

By that reasoning, the UW is actually a worse mark on your record than the F. You need to appeal to your University with proof of your grandmothers passing along with a letter requesting consideration due to personal hardship. You can request to have your grade changed from a UW to a W (The F can't be changed, sorry). The caveat is that many Universities will require the professor that issued the UW to sign off on the grade change. If you went to a large University you may just be another face in the crowd.

You have a lot of red tape to wade through. The UW can be changed to a W, you will then have to retake the course. The W will remain on your permanent record. You have little to no recourse for the F beyond retaking the class and doing well to prove that you have mastered the material. Good Luck.

You should try to talk to your major advisor or counselor. The registrar may be a useful as well...

At my school they have what is called a "Retroactive Withdrawal"- this leaves a RW on the transcript- something that you don't put on your CASPA (though they do look at your official transcript). Not sure if your college has this option, but if it does, be prepared to really prove why you need to retroactively withdraw (in addition to having to write to a committee, I had to provide the hospital bills). I should also note that the RW included all classes from that quarter, so I had to retake every class I took even if I got good grades in them.

Should this happen, you need to be prepared to answer to AdComs why some courses may not be in sequence or why a particular semester is not on your transcript. Some supplemental apps have a grade addendum or a space for you to talk about your academic performance that may not be stellar. Be honest.

Yeah, it's not ideal- but things can happen and it can be hard to compartmentalize what's going on (especially if you are young). I should have gone to the registrar and withdrawn at the time but I was too wrapped up with what was going on at home. Luckily for me, my request was approved and I didn't get below a 3.3 after that point so hopefully your grades show an upward trend. Good luck!

Anyways- that's just my experience

You should try to talk to your major advisor or counselor. The registrar may be a useful as well...

At my school they have what is called a "Retroactive Withdrawal"- this leaves a RW on the transcript- something that you don't put on your CASPA (though they do look at your official transcript). Not sure if your college has this option, but if it does, be prepared to really prove why you need to retroactively withdraw (in addition to having to write to a committee, I had to provide the hospital bills). I should also note that the RW included all classes from that quarter, so I had to retake every class I took even if I got good grades in them.

Should this happen, you need to be prepared to answer to AdComs why some courses may not be in sequence or why a particular semester is not on your transcript. Some supplemental apps have a grade addendum or a space for you to talk about your academic performance that may not be stellar. Be honest.

Yeah, it's not ideal- but things can happen and it can be hard to compartmentalize what's going on (especially if you are young). I should have gone to the registrar and withdrawn at the time but I was too wrapped up with what was going on at home. Luckily for me, my request was approved and I didn't get below a 3.3 after that point so hopefully your grades show an upward trend. Good luck!

Anyways- that's just my experience

I am not sure how to feel about this. Should I allow my PA or physician to make mistakes while he is dealing with me if he's going through personal problems?

In my opinion, the two can't be compared. If someone in your family dies, you can take time off your job and off of school to recover. Problem is, when you get back to school, you missed days of studying that are essential for final exams. Not the same for a job.

The same thing happen to me twice. The first time I didn't know any better and ended up with a failing grade. It wasn't in a pre-req though, so I retook it and (I'm hoping) it'll be fine. Second time I knew better, communicated fully with my professors what was going on, and received incompletes until I finish the work the following month after classes ended.

I second calling the registrar's office and explaining. You'd be surprised at what can be done years later. It can't hurt, at least. Good luck.

I am not sure how to feel about this. Should I allow my PA or physician to make mistakes while he is dealing with me if he's going through personal problems?

In my opinion, the two can't be compared. If someone in your family dies, you can take time off your job and off of school to recover. Problem is, when you get back to school, you missed days of studying that are essential for final exams. Not the same for a job.

The same thing happen to me twice. The first time I didn't know any better and ended up with a failing grade. It wasn't in a pre-req though, so I retook it and (I'm hoping) it'll be fine. Second time I knew better, communicated fully with my professors what was going on, and received incompletes until I finish the work the following month after classes ended.

I second calling the registrar's office and explaining. You'd be surprised at what can be done years later. It can't hurt, at least. Good luck.

let's not start pretending that PAs an physicians don't make mistakes. Anybody with healthcare experience knows that mistakes are made all the time. Even by the best of them. I'm not making excuses for the OP, but seriously, this really comes off as a self righteous response.

let's not start pretending that PAs an physicians don't make mistakes. Anybody with healthcare experience knows that mistakes are made all the time. Even by the best of them. I'm not making excuses for the OP, but seriously, this really comes off as a self righteous response.

Seriously. I was 19 years old at the time and just starting my 2nd year of school. Not that it's an excuse, but it was a really difficult time in my life. Had it not been the end of the semester when this family tragedy occurred, I probably would not have enrolled that semester and would have taken the semester off.

I will try to contact the school. The positive thing is that my aunt works at the school in the academic counseling center and she has been there for many years. She can vouch for me that I am telling the truth. Should I go to the school in person, or call?

Seriously. I was 19 years old at the time and just starting my 2nd year of school. Not that it's an excuse, but it was a really difficult time in my life. Had it not been the end of the semester when this family tragedy occurred, I probably would not have enrolled that semester and would have taken the semester off.

I will try to contact the school. The positive thing is that my aunt works at the school in the academic counseling center and she has been there for many years. She can vouch for me that I am telling the truth. Should I go to the school in person, or call?

Looking back at my post, I went too far with the remark, so I apologize for making the comment. I did not mean to suggest that PAs and physicians are incapable of error. However, should a tragedy stricken provider continue to work through it, I expect that the same level of care be delivered as if nothing happened. It would be unprofessional for the PA to give any less and to make excuses. With that said, it's also professional of the provider to take time off if he feels that his ability to provide medical services has been compromised and I don't have any problem with that.

I start to waver when it appears that people aren't willing to own up to their shortcomings and make excuses. I'm very sorry that Anthony lost his grandmother, but he should have sought out help if he didn't know what to do. Eventually he would have figured out that he should have talked to the professor well in advance of taking the final. Not saying this is the case, but when you go in after the fact to report this circumstance, it sounds like you're looking for an out. Yeah, this sounds horrible, but I see it all the time with friends and acquaintances. I'm tired of people who put the blame on their relatively difficult universities and majors or their professors that hate them or suck at teaching for their bad grades and work ethic.

Again, Anthony, I really feel bad that you've lost your grandmother. I'm assuming that was your only major tragedy, so hopefully you've been recovering and have been making the grade. Otherwise, it'd be really hard to isolate the cause of your poor grades for that one semester.

Looking back at my post, I went too far with the remark, so I apologize for making the comment. I did not mean to suggest that PAs and physicians are incapable of error. However, should a tragedy stricken provider continue to work through it, I expect that the same level of care be delivered as if nothing happened. It would be unprofessional for the PA to give any less and to make excuses. With that said, it's also professional of the provider to take time off if he feels that his ability to provide medical services has been compromised and I don't have any problem with that.

I start to waver when it appears that people aren't willing to own up to their shortcomings and make excuses. I'm very sorry that Anthony lost his grandmother, but he should have sought out help if he didn't know what to do. Eventually he would have figured out that he should have talked to the professor well in advance of taking the final. Not saying this is the case, but when you go in after the fact to report this circumstance, it sounds like you're looking for an out. Yeah, this sounds horrible, but I see it all the time with friends and acquaintances. I'm tired of people who put the blame on their relatively difficult universities and majors or their professors that hate them or suck at teaching for their bad grades and work ethic.

Again, Anthony, I really feel bad that you've lost your grandmother. I'm assuming that was your only major tragedy, so hopefully you've been recovering and have been making the grade. Otherwise, it'd be really hard to isolate the cause of your poor grades for that one semester.

I start to waver when it appears that people aren't willing to own up to their shortcomings and make excuses. I'm very sorry that Anthony lost his grandmother, but he should have sought out help if he didn't know what to do. Eventually he would have figured out that he should have talked to the professor well in advance of taking the final.

Give over. A 19 year old that lost his grandmother waivered in school and didn't immediately follow up with seeing what else could be done to remedy the situation. Not everyone has it all figured out and is ready to handle everything life throws at them at 19.

I start to waver when it appears that people aren't willing to own up to their shortcomings and make excuses. I'm very sorry that Anthony lost his grandmother, but he should have sought out help if he didn't know what to do. Eventually he would have figured out that he should have talked to the professor well in advance of taking the final.

Give over. A 19 year old that lost his grandmother waivered in school and didn't immediately follow up with seeing what else could be done to remedy the situation. Not everyone has it all figured out and is ready to handle everything life throws at them at 19.

i guess wouldn't hurt to ask, but one F and W is not going to be the end of the world. how have your grades been since then? did you get As when you retook chem and calc? at worst at an interview they may ask you about it, and you can give your explanation as to why those grades are incongruent with the rest of your grades, and that they were merely an anomaly.

you could even spin it as a positive. a common behavioral interview question is "tell me about an obstacle you had to overcome to reach your goals" or something like that. if you destroyed your classes after those two classes, you can even use the whole situation as a talking point!

good luck!

Archived