Surgical PA Program

Hey guys, I was wondering about possible pros or cons of attending a surgical PA school. We have two schools in my state, one regular PA program, and the other surgical. Since I hear it's wise to start out in IM or FP, then move on to surgery if you wish, then would it be better to attend a regular PA program, or would a surgical program put me ahead of the game? The difference is mainly the surgical program has classes in surgical disease, surgical technique, and OR technique, plus rotations are largely surgical based. I'd love to hear your input!

Hey guys, I was wondering about possible pros or cons of attending a surgical PA school. We have two schools in my state, one regular PA program, and the other surgical. Since I hear it's wise to start out in IM or FP, then move on to surgery if you wish, then would it be better to attend a regular PA program, or would a surgical program put me ahead of the game? The difference is mainly the surgical program has classes in surgical disease, surgical technique, and OR technique, plus rotations are largely surgical based. I'd love to hear your input!

1. The pathway is the same regardless of your initial credentials.

2. there are some staes that won't license a PA who holds an MD, but I don't know how that applies to an MD earned outside the US.

3. You don't need to go into IM/FP first. I think this is misguided advice. Your options are a) general PA school vs surgical PA program, and then b) get a job in surgery vs attend a surgical residency. Residency is great but not for everyone and certainly not "better" in all cases. It IS a way to gain a great deal of knowledge and competency in a short period if time.

4. If you are dead set on surgery, the surgical PA program is a good choice. But a good basis in general medicine in PA school can't hurt you when you are managing the medical problems of surgical patients down the line.

1. The pathway is the same regardless of your initial credentials.

2. there are some staes that won't license a PA who holds an MD, but I don't know how that applies to an MD earned outside the US.

3. You don't need to go into IM/FP first. I think this is misguided advice. Your options are a) general PA school vs surgical PA program, and then b) get a job in surgery vs attend a surgical residency. Residency is great but not for everyone and certainly not "better" in all cases. It IS a way to gain a great deal of knowledge and competency in a short period if time.

4. If you are dead set on surgery, the surgical PA program is a good choice. But a good basis in general medicine in PA school can't hurt you when you are managing the medical problems of surgical patients down the line.

Thanks, it helps to know either one will suit me well. Here's another question I don't really want to start a new thread for: How do I know the quality of a PA program? I have one right here down the road from me that doesn't have extremely high standards for admission, but I've heard people say they were impressed by the facilities, and their PANCE rates were higher than the national average (I don't know if that means anything). Are there good ways to tell if the program is worth it, or do you think I'd get a fair enough education just about anywhere so long as I apply myself?

Thanks, it helps to know either one will suit me well. Here's another question I don't really want to start a new thread for: How do I know the quality of a PA program? I have one right here down the road from me that doesn't have extremely high standards for admission, but I've heard people say they were impressed by the facilities, and their PANCE rates were higher than the national average (I don't know if that means anything). Are there good ways to tell if the program is worth it, or do you think I'd get a fair enough education just about anywhere so long as I apply myself?

While I think you get out what you put into it, a good school makes it much easier, especially in the clinical phase at a school with stellar sites. The best way to find out about a school is to see what students say. Ask them questions, go to the school and ask if they wouldn't mind getting you in contact with a junior, senior, and/or an alumni.

USA is a great school and puts out excellent generalists (both PA and MD). It was one of my top choices, unfortunately never got the chance to apply there.

UAB...well I don't have much good to say about UAB (as a whole it does not care about students and is so big, the left hand does not know what the right is doing). Went to school there for a while and worked there for years. Not much love. As for the PA program specifically, I've heard some complaints of disorganization and poor lecture structure from friends, but there is no doubt they really produce good surgical PAs.

While I think you get out what you put into it, a good school makes it much easier, especially in the clinical phase at a school with stellar sites. The best way to find out about a school is to see what students say. Ask them questions, go to the school and ask if they wouldn't mind getting you in contact with a junior, senior, and/or an alumni.

USA is a great school and puts out excellent generalists (both PA and MD). It was one of my top choices, unfortunately never got the chance to apply there.

UAB...well I don't have much good to say about UAB (as a whole it does not care about students and is so big, the left hand does not know what the right is doing). Went to school there for a while and worked there for years. Not much love. As for the PA program specifically, I've heard some complaints of disorganization and poor lecture structure from friends, but there is no doubt they really produce good surgical PAs.

That makes me feel a lot better about USA. I've never heard much about the medical programs there, so I wasn't sure if they were of any quality. It would by far be the best financial decision, as both my girlfriend and I are rooted in Mobile and have great jobs (mine being a church musician, so I could keep it during PA school). I'm gonna go tour the Allied Health building soon, and I'll also try to get in contact with some students and alumni.

That makes me feel a lot better about USA. I've never heard much about the medical programs there, so I wasn't sure if they were of any quality. It would by far be the best financial decision, as both my girlfriend and I are rooted in Mobile and have great jobs (mine being a church musician, so I could keep it during PA school). I'm gonna go tour the Allied Health building soon, and I'll also try to get in contact with some students and alumni.

Most of my experience (which is plentiful) comes from knowing people in the medical schools of both. I personally would attend USA over UAB med school without question because of the opportunities to participate in the higher levels of care given to med students. They have less competition as there aren't as many health professions students (not as many fellows, residents, nurse anesthesia, ect) all fighting to do stuff at USA. Having said that, it may not translate to the PA programs and the above is all I can comment on those. I would assume USA MD and PA program would have the same mission of creating great generalist, which I think the USA PA program curriculum reflects that. But if surgery is definitely your gig, it may be better for you to go to UAB. Just do what you said, talk to students and see the facilities, and that will help I'm sure.

Most of my experience (which is plentiful) comes from knowing people in the medical schools of both. I personally would attend USA over UAB med school without question because of the opportunities to participate in the higher levels of care given to med students. They have less competition as there aren't as many health professions students (not as many fellows, residents, nurse anesthesia, ect) all fighting to do stuff at USA. Having said that, it may not translate to the PA programs and the above is all I can comment on those. I would assume USA MD and PA program would have the same mission of creating great generalist, which I think the USA PA program curriculum reflects that. But if surgery is definitely your gig, it may be better for you to go to UAB. Just do what you said, talk to students and see the facilities, and that will help I'm sure.

Archived