UND 2018/2019 Application

Hi guys. Just wanted to start a thread for this year's cycle! 

As far as work/volunteer experience, UND requires a CV/resume and a rural experience documentation (entry 2) in addition to listing experience in CASPA. Is everyone keeping the format generally the same for each form? It seems like I am explaining the same exact thing over and over and it feels repetitive...anyone else?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting the UND program this May (13 days from today.) Last year at this time I was filling out caspa like many of you are, if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to be informative. I'm a track one student, current paramedic, so track two info I only know from their website but general questions I'll do my best to answer. 

• 3 months later...

Nicholet9,

Sure my hours:

17,500 on an ambulance (seven years as a paramedic and three years as an EMT.) I'm a track one student but met the chemistry requirements for track two.

I had roughly 2,500 hours teaching as well at various levels: EMT students, Paramedic students, medical students and some medical providers with government agencies.

Around 250 hours of volunteer clinical research as well. 

Keep in mind an average of 6,000 means that there are plenty below that in hours. Some with a lot of hours and some with the minimum. I got in my first cycle applying to UND and it was my top choice, the previous year I applied to 22 schools without an interview off.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:38 PM, kettle said:

Nicholet9,

Sure my hours:

17,500 on an ambulance (seven years as a paramedic and three years as an EMT.) I'm a track one student but met the chemistry requirements for track two.

I had roughly 2,500 hours teaching as well at various levels: EMT students, Paramedic students, medical students and some medical providers with government agencies.

Around 250 hours of volunteer clinical research as well. 

Keep in mind an average of 6,000 means that there are plenty below that in hours. Some with a lot of hours and some with the minimum. I got in my first cycle applying to UND and it was my top choice, the previous year I applied to 22 schools without an interview off.

Hi Kettle,

I am very interested in applying to UND. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking. I live on the east coast, don't know if that's an automatic deal breaker. My HCE is really similar to yours. I've been a medic for 6 years and I teach EMT and Paramedic. If you don't mind me asking what was your GPA? Also how did you go about finding a preceptor for the program? Sorry for all the questions. 

20 hours ago, johncfl said:

Hi Kettle,

I am very interested in applying to UND. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking. I live on the east coast, don't know if that's an automatic deal breaker. My HCE is really similar to yours. I've been a medic for 6 years and I teach EMT and Paramedic. If you don't mind me asking what was your GPA? Also how did you go about finding a preceptor for the program? Sorry for all the questions. 

I'm live in the twin cities in Minnesota now but spent most of my life in rural MN. We have students from several different states outside of the midwest so east coast by no means is a deal breaker.

My overall GPA was 3.3 and science was 3.4. I did really poorly on some classes 12 years back so that brought it down. I think my last 75 credits was close to 3.9.

Preceptors are just based on who you know. They should be family practice for the majority of their work week. I know students used their own family practice doctors or reached out to the healthcare system where they worked and asked for help. 

I think applications were due on Sept 1st but never too early to try and line things up for next cycle. 

Has anyone receive interview invitation yet? I applied this cycle and got an email saying that UND received my verified application. Does anyone know when they will start sending the interview invitations? ND resident. Poor science GPA (3.6). Non science GPA (4.0). About 1000 hours of direct patient care. Worked as tutor and Nurse Aide. Volunteer at Hospital. Some research experience. I hope I get an interview invitation. UND is my first choice.

I applied to the program and have talked to one of the clinical educators about the GPA and she said that they take into account the last 40-50 credits of your schooling to base their decision when it comes to your GPA.  So if you improved on your GPA doing that time it should be okay.  I have been a respiratory therapist for the last 16 years and have worked in many aspects of the hospital from NICU, ICU, PICU, OR, CVCC, ER, Rapid response teams, and transport to name a few and I am hoping that I will be able to get in because of my experience and my overall GPA is 3.95. I currently leave in a rural area of Minnesota.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, DeeDee5774 said:

Can you share how the interview process went and how/when did you get notified that you were accepted?

On interview specifics, sorry I cannot, they told us not to share that during our interviews. On generalities it was a pretty standard medical school type interview: individual interviews, group work and writing. 

I thought they did do a good job keeping the atmosphere friendly and fairly low stress. There is sometime to tour the building as well as questions and answers with current students.

I was notified sometime in November via email that I was accepted and had a papers coming via snail mail. 

Good luck!

23 minutes ago, kettle said:

On interview specifics, sorry I cannot, they told us not to share that during our interviews. On generalities it was a pretty standard medical school type interview: individual interviews, group work and writing. 

I thought they did do a good job keeping the atmosphere friendly and fairly low stress. There is sometime to tour the building as well as questions and answers with current students.

I was notified sometime in November via email that I was accepted and had a papers coming via snail mail. 

Good luck!

Thanks!! I interviewed back in 2012 but it was via webcam. I prefer the face to face format. How many students were accepted to your class and have you lost anyone yet?

1 hour ago, PAorthehiway said:

Can those of you who were invited to interview please share your stats of your application? 

Non-traditional student. CT/Xray tech for the past 20 years. Slowly obtained my Bachelors (radiology) and did prereqs. Retook some prereqs as well. Track 1 route. From Michiga. High HCE but low GPA. Overall 3.5 Science 3.0. 2nd time applying with UND. 5th time overall since 2009. 

2 hours ago, DeeDee5774 said:

Thanks!! I interviewed back in 2012 but it was via webcam. I prefer the face to face format. How many students were accepted to your class and have you lost anyone yet?

They will accept up to 35, 34 in my class, in regards to loss of attrition I'm not sure, the first 8 months are online besides the orientation week in May so I don't know those numbers. It is not for the faint of heart most study a minimum of 50 hours a week and many study more. Working is ill advised. Summer semester I only took one day away from the books

Archived