Low gre but high gpa

Hi! I just took the gre and I need some advice as to retake it or not. I got a 145 in verbal and 148 in quant. I have a ~3.6 cum gpa and ~3.7 sGPA. I also have >3000 HCE/PCE as a medical assistant, scribe, and pt aide.  I have letters of recommendation from 2 professors, 2 doctors and 1 PA. I went to a pretty well known and difficult undergrad institution. 

I just wanted advice to know if anyone was accepted with a low gre score/ does it really matter? If so should I retake it?

Thank you!

In my opinion the fact that applicants even have to worry about the GRE is ridiculous. I can not think of one thing I had to know on the GRE that has benefited me in PA school and it seems as if that mentality is catching on at a lot of schools. However, some schools still require the GRE and some of them use them as a filter. So even though you have fantastic stats otherwise, some programs may automatically filter your application out and never even see it because of your GRE score so that is worth considering. However, you could also consider that there are tons of schools that do not even require the GRE and go that route. Or you could look at schools such as the one I am enrolled in, where they require the GRE, but do not have a minimum. They guarantee to review every single application that meets the qualifications. 

Agree with above. at many places the gre is just a checkbox, yes the applicant took it as required to get into graduate school. I have been on several admin committees and don't even know how to interpret the scores(and don't look at them beyond did they take it). 

As long as you meet the cut-off/minimum for the programs you intend to apply to I wouldn't focus on that right now.

That said, I had two different programs bring up my 149q (combined 310) during interviews even though my scores exceeded their cutoffs. I was accepted at one of those programs (top choice) and rejected at the other.

19 minutes ago, mooredc said:

In my opinion the fact that applicants even have to worry about the GRE is ridiculous. I can not think of one thing I had to know on the GRE that has benefited me in PA school and it seems as if that mentality is catching on at a lot of schools. However, some schools still require the GRE and some of them use them as a filter. So even though you have fantastic stats otherwise, some programs may automatically filter your application out and never even see it because of your GRE score so that is worth considering. However, you could also consider that there are tons of schools that do not even require the GRE and go that route. Or you could look at schools such as the one I am enrolled in, where they require the GRE, but do not have a minimum. They guarantee to review every single application that meets the qualifications. 

Agreed, if you're applying to a program that requires a GRE then high 290's (296-297 I remember seeing) and 300 are usually the cutoffs (and 3 in writing). So you need to meet that minimum to get your application looked at; you don't have to do great on it.

I see both sides, on the one hand I agree with the quoted response, but on the other hand, the GRE isn't hard, and with a little effort almost anyone should be able to get a 300+; so in a way it isn't about the score itself, it is about your ability to overcome an obstacle. It is also a benchmark that is independent of major, University, or GPA "boosting/padding." i.e. A Harvard grad and a Community College grad take the same GRE, it is the only such level playing field that I'm aware of. 

Personally (keep that in mind, it is just my opinion, but I'm sure there are a few adcoms out there who feel the same way) I have little empathy with someone who takes the GRE, does less than satisfactory, then doesn't try and improve it. I'm HS dropout, not a math or English major, and took no English classes and only statistics in college; I wung (winged?) the GRE with almost zero prep my junior year and still did >310. I had no idea how it was going to turn out, but if poorly I was prepared to study very hard and take it again my senior year. 

That said, my perception may be an obstacle you run into, or it might not. Just be aware of it, and if you don't get an acceptance this cycle, don't get discouraged, just look at all the things you can improve upon, improve upon them, and try again next time (I'm a second round acceptee just btw); the GRE is one of those potential improvements. 

I would retake for sure.

Did you study a lot for it?  If you know you studied your heart out for it, retake it, and if the score is about the same then it probably won't change much a third time. 

There are schools out there with cutoffs, and even cutoffs that are not implied on program websites unfortunately.  Shoot for 300+ and even better if you can get in the 50th percentile or higher.  

The GRE shows how well you can take a standardized test, which the PANCE is.

Archived