New grad per diem Urgent Care Hourly Pay?

Director of a big southeastern Urgent Care group contacted me and is willing to let me work Saturday shifts every month.

Only benefits include 401k with 4% match and malpractice with tail coverage.

What's a decent hourly wage range? I get paid around 95k currently full time in family medicine.

I'm a new grad. He wanted me to give him a number.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, VictoriousSecret said:

Lol I was thinking countering with $70/hr haha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

You have to make it look like you have researched the pay (or really do) and an offer like $68.50 instead of $68. I would try to find out what other experienced PAs are making and hit him with a number around that. 

70/hr is OK if you are a W-2 employee. There's lots of variables...what is the market like, what is the patient load, how much support will you have including staff etc. What are the hours? If you do 12's and get off at 10PM that costs more than doing 8s and going home at 5PM

Also UCs can vary wildly in what they do. Currently I'm in one that is very low acuity with minimal testing and everything complex gets sent to the ER. I worked for a few years in one that did everything from family med to Occ Med to emergencies with only the worst of the worst getting sent out. 

Bottom line...do some homework so you know what you are negotiating for. Then ask for more than you want because you can negotiate down but not up.

19 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Also UCs can vary wildly in what they do. Currently I'm in one that is very low acuity with minimal testing and everything complex gets sent to the ER. I worked for a few years in one that did everything from family med to Occ Med to emergencies with only the worst of the worst getting sent out. 

I think this is an important point.  There is a very wide variety of what's done in UC now.  Most large corporate owned ones are fairly straight forward in what they have you do, but many of the private doc owned ones will have you doing everything including full on family practice.  Be VERY careful taking a job in these.  You either do family practice or you don't.  Trying to half-ass it will get you tagged when something goes wrong.

Dunno why this keeps coming up, but as has been mentioned here countless times....Solo Urgent care is not a good first job for new grads.  144 hours?  Less then a month?  You need 3-6 months minimum before I would ever consider turning you loose in my clinic...even then prob not.  No offense, but having someone on call to bail you out really does not work in UC.  You have to makes calls right there and quickly lest you get totally overwhelmed with volume.  It's why family practice or even a well supervised ER gig is a better start for a new grad.  Acuity and volume can be titrated for you.  This is NOT the case in urgent care.    Also, you would be W-2.  Pretty sure you can not be set up with a 401k unless you are an actual employee and not a 1099 IC.

Archived