Lock Haven Or Seton Hall?

I have been accepted to Seton Hall, Lock Haven, and Salus. I am having trouble deciding between the three programs.

Seton Hall:

Pro: High ranking, close to home (35 mins), rotations all close to home.

Con: 33 months, high tuition, no national rotations, rotations concentrated in north jersey

Lock Haven:

Pro: Lower tuition, 24 months, farther away(3.5 hours), national rotations

Cons: very rural area, ranking not as high, rotations may be very spread apart

Salus: Seems to be a good option, however they seem to be working through changes which may or may not prove to be successful. Affordable and located in Philadelphia.  

Does anyone have any specific insight on these programs? Specifically about rotations.

not sure specifically about any of these schools, but I can say that ranking doesn't really matter during or after PA school. I am 3 months shy of finishing didactic and knowing what I know now, I would chose the school that gets you done quickly for the least amount of money, but also has a good reputation/pass rates/curriculum that will prepare you well for rotations. I imagine the 33 month program is the same amount of credits just stretched out into 33 months. You could be in practice almost a year earlier in a 24 month program.

If rotations spread around the country is something you'd like to do, then go for it. But the cost you will incur jumping from place to place every month could potentially be significant unless you live in AHEC housing. In my opinion, quality rotation sites are more important than proximity (if I had to choose between the two).

Good luck!

On 4/11/2018 at 6:48 AM, Tech to PA said:

I have been accepted to Seton Hall, Lock Haven, and Salus. I am having trouble deciding between the three programs.

Seton Hall:

Pro: High ranking, close to home (35 mins), rotations all close to home.

Con: 33 months, high tuition, no national rotations, rotations concentrated in north jersey

Lock Haven:

Pro: Lower tuition, 24 months, farther away(3.5 hours), national rotations

Cons: very rural area, ranking not as high, rotations may be very spread apart

Salus: Seems to be a good option, however they seem to be working through changes which may or may not prove to be successful. Affordable and located in Philadelphia.  

Does anyone have any specific insight on these programs? Specifically about rotations.

I wouldn't worry too much about rankings, I've heard they don't matter. I'd personally not be interested in 33 months, that's a lof of extra tuition to pay. I interviewed at Lock Haven and really didn't like the feel of the program - for me, it was FAR too rural, you're right, the rotations do seem to be very spread apart. I also didn't like that they often teach from video from another location. To me, it's so important to have that interaction with instructors and build those relationships. Also, their student body was incredibly NOT diverse, which bothered me. I don't know anything about Salus, or what changes they are going through, but I know Philadelphia could be a great place to live/get clinical experience. Best of luck in whichever school you choose!

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed with shortest school, if you can get accepted into a PA program you are intelligent enough to finish one in 24 months. I have been on rotations with lock haven students and they didnt seem to mind their program, considering lower tuition I'd go with that.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, Tech to PA said:

What kind of changes is Salus working through? Did you ever decide on a school? 

Archived