What are my options?

I'm a junior at the University of Florida with a 2.3 science GPA and a 2.8 overall. I know, it's bad.

I talked to an advisor today and she told me I would have to graduate on time regardless of me not finishing my PA pre-reqs. I don't know how people have stayed at UF for over 4 years because it seems like they just want me to finish up my psych degree and graduate! So I was wondering what my other options could be. Are there postbacc programs that are more geared towards PA and not ones that require that you have taken the MCAT and such? Or is there a way for me to delay graduation?

I'm a junior at the University of Florida with a 2.3 science GPA and a 2.8 overall. I know, it's bad.

I talked to an advisor today and she told me I would have to graduate on time regardless of me not finishing my PA pre-reqs. I don't know how people have stayed at UF for over 4 years because it seems like they just want me to finish up my psych degree and graduate! So I was wondering what my other options could be. Are there postbacc programs that are more geared towards PA and not ones that require that you have taken the MCAT and such? Or is there a way for me to delay graduation?

You don't have to take the MCAT for any PA school that I am aware of, but you may have to take the GRE. Other than that you just need to figure out what pre-req's are needed for the schools you wish to apply to & knock them out. Some schools may have a program geared to obtaining your pre-req's, but I don't know of any specific ones. SJVC may be starting such a program, as LesH has posted about it on these forums.

You don't have to take the MCAT for any PA school that I am aware of, but you may have to take the GRE. Other than that you just need to figure out what pre-req's are needed for the schools you wish to apply to & knock them out. Some schools may have a program geared to obtaining your pre-req's, but I don't know of any specific ones. SJVC may be starting such a program, as LesH has posted about it on these forums.

Oh no I meant like many of the postbacc programs that I looked at here in Florida are mostly for pre-med because they usually ask for an MCAT score and such. Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that one. I really want to go to UF's PA program because I don't want to leave Gainesville but my advisor is telling me to knock out those pre-reqs at a different university, which I don't want to do...and I have always been told that doing the pre-reqs at a CC won't hold as much weight as doing them at a university.

Oh no I meant like many of the postbacc programs that I looked at here in Florida are mostly for pre-med because they usually ask for an MCAT score and such. Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that one. I really want to go to UF's PA program because I don't want to leave Gainesville but my advisor is telling me to knock out those pre-reqs at a different university, which I don't want to do...and I have always been told that doing the pre-reqs at a CC won't hold as much weight as doing them at a university.

For most programs, it doesn't matter where you take the prereqs, they will hold the same weight. Since you like g'ville, why not take some classes at Santa Fe as a non degree seeking student? How many science credits have you attempted so far? With a 2.3 science gpa UF's program won't be an option without some serious GPA rehab. Remember that UFs PA program also likes HCE, so you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

For most programs, it doesn't matter where you take the prereqs, they will hold the same weight. Since you like g'ville, why not take some classes at Santa Fe as a non degree seeking student? How many science credits have you attempted so far? With a 2.3 science gpa UF's program won't be an option without some serious GPA rehab. Remember that UFs PA program also likes HCE, so you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Archived