Excuse notes

• Administrator

"I won't lie TO you, and I won't lie FOR you"

Sick notes get "was seen in clinic on X day" maybe and "... for X condition" which I point out the patient doesn't have to include. Factual, simple, and nothing beyond that is really the employer's business.

In college health notes are a daily occurrence. The front desk will given them a note stating they were seen today; just generic, no specifics.

I will give them a signed note if I see them and they are legitimately sick, or if they are on an athletic team/ROTC and need a note outlining specific restrictions.

But "retroactive" notes excusing them from classes/exams missed before I saw them, not usually. It's case-by-case. I know when someone is/was ill and when they are full of sh!t.

Being asked--flat-out--to LIE for someone? Ive been asked that before and it's met with a hard NO and a prickly demeanor. Visit is over.

Guest UVAPAC

I am just curious what others would do in the scenario:

You have a patient who comes to your office stating that he/she called out of work sick for a week straight.  Per their employers policy they may request a sick note / return to work note if you have greater than 3 consecutive days of absence...

The patient states "We had to put our dog down, who has been a part of our family for 13 years.  I was so upset/distraught that I couldn't go into work or function.  My employer will not excuse my absences without a doctors note."

Would you write this note or not?

4 hours ago, UVAPAC said:

I am just curious what others would do in the scenario:

You have a patient who comes to your office stating that he/she called out of work sick for a week straight.  Per their employers policy they may request a sick note / return to work note if you have greater than 3 consecutive days of absence...

The patient states "We had to put our dog down, who has been a part of our family for 13 years.  I was so upset/distraught that I couldn't go into work or function.  My employer will not excuse my absences without a doctors note."

Would you write this note or not?

No. They could get a note saying they were seen, nothing more.

Thanks for the responses. I do feel surprised and offended that the patient would ask me to lie. The patient is returning tomorrow for "lab follow up" even though she only did labs 2 days ago. There are no labs available yet of course. I believe she wants to show up and ask me for excuse note for the day. She also came today to accompany her father to see his doctor and also got a excuse note from her father's PCP today. After the visit, she smiled suspiciously at me and told me she's coming back for me tomorrow. What do you do in this case? Do you write an excuse note a patient for just seeing a doctor even if they're not sick?  

Archived