Veterans > PAs article

Ok, congrats to you navyfly....thanks for your service.

Yes i was a peace time corpsman, so in battalion medicine i prob would suck.lol but i did gain invaluable experience and am proud of my foundation gained along with the years i put in after in the civilian world. So if that was meant as a sleight, whatever. In medicine, the Hospital Corps was great experience, peace time or otherwise.

With regards for your standing good for you. You deserve it with the work you are obviously putting in. I still stand by my other comments though.

We just have to agree to disagree...

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

When I attended MEDEX the great thing was NO talk about class rankings or what # PA School it was, GPAs,GREs or any other affectation of self aggrandisement! I sat in class with a group of people who actually had lived and worked in adult life taking care of patients we were simpatico because of this. Back in the days of barely 35 PA Schools including three military programs we weren't chasing the illusive status and fancy titles or 100K jobs we just sought greater clinical ability.The goal was to build upon our experiences to become better at taking caring for patients.

My 13 years as a peacetime Army Medic in and out of the line was extremely educational, and I even saved a life or two including a few aviation personnel with stripes or bars on their collar.I've yet to have a day as a PA where I didn't find the need to look up information or ask someone a question or just look back across the years of my experience to answer a question.

When I attended MEDEX the great thing was NO talk about class rankings or what # PA School it was, GPAs,GREs or any other affectation of self aggrandisement! I sat in class with a group of people who actually had lived and worked in adult life taking care of patients we were simpatico because of this. Back in the days of barely 35 PA Schools including three military programs we weren't chasing the illusive status and fancy titles or 100K jobs we just sought greater clinical ability.The goal was to build upon our experiences to become better at taking caring for patients.

My 13 years as a peacetime Army Medic in and out of the line was extremely educational, and I even saved a life or two including a few aviation personnel with stripes or bars on their collar.I've yet to have a day as a PA where I didn't find the need to look up information or ask someone a question or just look back across the years of my experience to answer a question.

Joelseff,

It wasn't a sleight on you or anyone else. I really don't mean disrespect to anyone in any form. If I did, I apologize. All I'm saying is that there are some bright people out there...we should all give them a chance. At the end of the day, I'm very happy to be where I am. For someone on the outside looking in (no HCE), I thought a lot of PA's (which all of you are). That's why I wanted to become one. PA's that I know, actually helped talk me into the profession and educated me on the field. These guys had prior HCE and were pretty well respected in their field. For whatever reason, they thought a lot of me and thought I might make a good colleague. Maybe, maybe not, but I owe them and all of you for the strides in making the profession what it is. Thanks.

Joelseff,

It wasn't a sleight on you or anyone else. I really don't mean disrespect to anyone in any form. If I did, I apologize. All I'm saying is that there are some bright people out there...we should all give them a chance. At the end of the day, I'm very happy to be where I am. For someone on the outside looking in (no HCE), I thought a lot of PA's (which all of you are). That's why I wanted to become one. PA's that I know, actually helped talk me into the profession and educated me on the field. These guys had prior HCE and were pretty well respected in their field. For whatever reason, they thought a lot of me and thought I might make a good colleague. Maybe, maybe not, but I owe them and all of you for the strides in making the profession what it is. Thanks.

@Adams...hey man that's great. Good for you. It seems like you've gotten a lot of satisfaction. Kudos. To be honest, I'm not self-aggrandising. Just making a point that new guys can learn too. Thanks for the service as well. I was an enlisted Marine before I was commissioned in the Navy (Combat engineer), and I, like all field Marines- loved my Corpsman. Thanks for being there.

As for me, I'm an older fella, got great career satisfaction, but have an interest in Medicine and like new challenges in my life. My pursuit is above compensation. I hope to work for the VA in orthopedics and work with IED casualties and returning soldiers.

@Adams...hey man that's great. Good for you. It seems like you've gotten a lot of satisfaction. Kudos. To be honest, I'm not self-aggrandising. Just making a point that new guys can learn too. Thanks for the service as well. I was an enlisted Marine before I was commissioned in the Navy (Combat engineer), and I, like all field Marines- loved my Corpsman. Thanks for being there.

As for me, I'm an older fella, got great career satisfaction, but have an interest in Medicine and like new challenges in my life. My pursuit is above compensation. I hope to work for the VA in orthopedics and work with IED casualties and returning soldiers.

'eh... Maybe I was a little more abrasive in my post than I meant to be. I apologize. While I hold HCE in high regard, you are right that some people don't really apply it once they are in PA school. There are those that use HCE to GET to PA school and there are those that use in IN PA school.

'eh... Maybe I was a little more abrasive in my post than I meant to be. I apologize. While I hold HCE in high regard, you are right that some people don't really apply it once they are in PA school. There are those that use HCE to GET to PA school and there are those that use in IN PA school.

Speaking of witch hunt, there was a post in clinicician1 from sermo-think sdn on red bull and 3 rockstars. It was md/dos talkin smack about nps and pas. I only read some because, well, actually it made me sick. But majority of it cited that nps were better because they had exp b4 going to school and to paraphrase one doc: "pas can work at the slaughterhouse to figure out the head from the feet then 2 years of school and theyre pas..." Or something to that effect....

I know these arent docs we want to work with and there are DE nps too and face it these docs they were just hateful but it is a criticism that i have heard from other md colleagues. So HCE i think benefits the credibility of our profession also, at first glance at least, to the unknowing public. Our performance as PAs of course is the one that keeps it going.

I come on here to opine. Sometimes it offends ppl, cant help that i guess, i still stand by recommending getting hce to anyone wanting to enter the field. As much as i recommend getting all As in the sci courses. I just *believe* that it is *better* prep. There i go opining again...

Cheers.

i was able to dl the transcript from sermo on pdf. If anyone wants a "pick me up" lol i cam pm it to u.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I read that sermo thread, the whole thing.

I put it in the same category that I'd pt the usual hateful nonsense on SDN, all nurses, and even here. The vocal forum-posting minority.

these opinions are separated from the policy making wing of our profession(s).

even if we give weight to these opinions...the same docs who may suddenly now give us some "street cred" b/c we have experience will turn on a dime for whatever reason they need to justify achieving their OWN goals.

It is THAT sort of self-advocacy that PAs need to focus on, and worry less about what these docs think of us. The LARGE number of docs who work with PAs, respect our role, and (most importantly) make $$$ on our backs are the ones that matter.

Speaking of witch hunt, there was a post in clinicician1 from sermo-think sdn on red bull and 3 rockstars. It was md/dos talkin smack about nps and pas. I only read some because, well, actually it made me sick. But majority of it cited that nps were better because they had exp b4 going to school and to paraphrase one doc: "pas can work at the slaughterhouse to figure out the head from the feet then 2 years of school and theyre pas..." Or something to that effect....

I know these arent docs we want to work with and there are DE nps too and face it these docs they were just hateful but it is a criticism that i have heard from other md colleagues. So HCE i think benefits the credibility of our profession also, at first glance at least, to the unknowing public. Our performance as PAs of course is the one that keeps it going.

I come on here to opine. Sometimes it offends ppl, cant help that i guess, i still stand by recommending getting hce to anyone wanting to enter the field. As much as i recommend getting all As in the sci courses. I just *believe* that it is *better* prep. There i go opining again...

Cheers.

i was able to dl the transcript from sermo on pdf. If anyone wants a "pick me up" lol i cam pm it to u.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I read that sermo thread, the whole thing.

I put it in the same category that I'd pt the usual hateful nonsense on SDN, all nurses, and even here. The vocal forum-posting minority.

these opinions are separated from the policy making wing of our profession(s).

even if we give weight to these opinions...the same docs who may suddenly now give us some "street cred" b/c we have experience will turn on a dime for whatever reason they need to justify achieving their OWN goals.

It is THAT sort of self-advocacy that PAs need to focus on, and worry less about what these docs think of us. The LARGE number of docs who work with PAs, respect our role, and (most importantly) make $$$ on our backs are the ones that matter.

Archived