Application Cuts

I was just curious--for those who know anything about the application process for various schools:

Because of the sheer amount of applications some schools may receive, how to adcoms make cuts to those applications? Say, for example, how does a school go from 1000 applications to 100 interviews? I know there are the things like GPA, GRE, HCE and other minimum requirements, that may get your app cut on the first round, but what are the other things that can get your application booted? My PA advisor mentioned that simply because I have not taken genetics, my application may be denied, even though it is not required for the program.

Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated! I have a solid GPA, 1200 hours HCE, and good EC's, so I want to make sure that I still have a shot.

Thanks everyone!

Guest blee100

I went to my school (FGCU) PA program information session and they stated that they break down applications by people who are actually eligible. They stated that almost over 50 percent of applications they received were not even eligible. By not meeting the expected patient care hours or simply not even reading to see that they don't accept people under a specific GPA or don't meet the required prereqs. I think a lot of people believe that maybe they'll read my personal statement and give me a chance but your application thrown out when they don't meet the requirements right away. An additional component in receiving an interview is having a strong personal statement that explains that they actually understand why they want to be a PA( I suggest looking at the amazing tips this forum gives for preparing your personal statement). Your PA advisor is wrong because why would a school not accept you cause you didn't take a class that is not even required that doesn't make any sense. Sometimes I feel like advisors don't actually know anything about getting into graduate schools so I suggest speaking to your schools admission/career office. Individuals there work firsthand with you with tip, preparing for interviews and resumes for individuals seeking admission into graduate programs. Also, multiple components boost your application.  An example of components is having a good GPA, shadowing multiple pas in different specialties, having over 1000 patient care hours( I'm currently seeking over 2,500). if your program doesn't require patient care hours they may be looking for individuals who have volunteered throughout their community such as working with individuals who are low income. Just keep working until you feel like you exceed every category that programs look for. Good luck

As Rev said it is school dependent. I know that my school uses GRE to make initial cuts, after that I think they review everyone’s full application. I can’t see a school denying you because you don’t have genetics even though it isn’t required. They are more likely to make a cut based on GPA, GRE or HCE.

I applied last cycle and called the programs I applied to for feedback. One did tell me they received 1,500 applicants so they cut via GPA. For them, you needed an minimum of a 3.0 just to apply and meet their requirements, but they cut anyone with lower than a 3.4 cumulative or science GPA.

While some schools set filters like that, I’ve contacted a few programs I’m looking to apply to and most others told me they still review holistically so long as you meet their minimums. 

Like you have mentioned all schools have hard cut off requirements such as minimum GPAs, prerequisites, LORs etc.. A good amount of applicants will not even make it past this stage due to them applying without the bare minimum requirements. I remember looking at the stats from one school out in California and I think almost half of the applicants were denied for this reason alone. After that it is pretty much up to the programs to decide who will and who will not receive interview invites. For this reason it is very important to research each school in depth to find out what kind of students they are looking to accept into their program. Read their website, talk to the admissions committee and other students in the program to try and feel out if you will be a good fit for the school. Looking at the average accepted stats of prior students is very important too. There are many schools out there that will allow you to apply with a 3.0 GPA, but their average accepted GPAs are around the 3.8-3.9 mark. The same holds true for PCE hours. If you are around average in terms of GPA and/or PCE it will probably be in your best interest to avoid applying to such schools. 

Archived