Pharmacy Tech or Improve a Course Grade?

So I am looking for advice from anyone on which way I should lean over the summer. For a little background, I am currently a volunteer EMT (16 months) and a patient care tech/STNA for almost 3 years now. I am trying to decide whether to I should take a pharmacy tech position (non certified as of yet) or take an A&P 2 class over again which was my only C grade (C+ to be exact) during my undergraduate study. I can see the benefits of each and also the drawbacks of not doing each. Just wanted to gauge other people's opinions of what they would do in my situation.

Thanks in advance to anybody who replies!

Can you take the class and work part-time? A&P is the basis on which medicine is built so I really think that getting an A in the class would be beneficial to your application. Pharmacy tech doesn’t count for PCE which is a draw back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Jchen14 said:

Can you take the class and work part-time? A&P is the basis on which medicine is built so I really think that getting an A in the class would be beneficial to your application. Pharmacy tech doesn’t count for PCE which is a draw back.

I'm not entirely sure whether I can work as a PT and go to school. I cant afford not to make as much as I do right now. I can keep my current job at the hospital and take that class just fine. I haven't actually been hired as a PT yet, have interviews coming up so it might be a case of just seeing what they say first. But I have a weird feeling I may have to choose between taking a new job as  PT and taking the class.

I'm not entirely sure whether I can work as a PT and go to school. I cant afford not to make as much as I do right now. I can keep my current job at the hospital and take that class just fine. I haven't actually been hired as a PT yet, have interviews coming up so it might be a case of just seeing what they say first. But I have a weird feeling I may have to choose between taking a new job as  PT and taking the class.

How many hours have you accumulated?

• Administrator

EMT is good experience, generally considered better than pharmacy tech in the grand scheme of things, but it sounds like you will be able to get more hours as a pharm tech (PT is physical therapist).  I agree getting the A&P 2 grade up is a good thing, so it's really just a matter of deciding which of several good goals to work on first.  I'm not one known for shying away from giving my opinions, but I don't know that I see a clear answer here.

18 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

EMT is good experience, generally considered better than pharmacy tech in the grand scheme of things, but it sounds like you will be able to get more hours as a pharm tech (PT is physical therapist).  I agree getting the A&P 2 grade up is a good thing, so it's really just a matter of deciding which of several good goals to work on first.  I'm not one known for shying away from giving my opinions, but I don't know that I see a clear answer here.

I agree. Compensation being equal, I'm leaning towards keeping my current job and taking the summer class. I have to maintain my current pay (or more) for my expenses at the moment and I can always apply again for pharm tech once that class is over. That experience might not make it onto all of the applications for next cycle but would be a good thing to have, anyway.

Archived