New grad anxiety & concern for license

Im in a similar position. you can read my post thats also new

Why do you have to tell any employer you were hired for two weeks?

my urgent care is offering me 3 months of training

im not expected to upsell any meds or tests

I would agree that my company really only cares about money and patient satisfaction too

I would RUN from your offer

12 minutes ago, charlotte said:

I saw your post and was jealous that you get 3 months of training. Unfortunately your volume is extremely high and that would make me nervous. I think it would be hard to find an UC who isn't all about the money but when patient safety is at risk, there's gotta be a line. unfortunately i doubt there will be any changes because people will accept jobs like mine for the paycheck

I agree. I think were both in the same boat.. It seems to be the "norm" so its hard for me to accept that its "not right"

Please keep me posted

1 hour ago, charlotte said:

I have only been working at my new job for 4 weeks. I work 3 12's in urgent care. I'm a new grad. I signed on with the agreement that I would receive 2 6-week phases of training. They have obviously very high turnover of staff and of course are now wanting me to go solo starting next week. I'm honestly terrified for patient safety. While I consider myself thorough, I don't have experience being a new grad. I already can't sleep at night thinking about all the things I could have missed and what I could be sued about. Unfortunately, this company is all about money & patient satisfaction, meaning we're encouraged to place IV's in all the patients, sell them medications on site (we're required to sell 60% of all medications prescribed on site, even if all of the patients who come in are medicare and medicaid and can get their prescriptions free at the pharmacy), etc.

It'd be easy for me to just back off and say - this isn't for me, I'm going to have to quit while I'm still in "training." But I only have 2 weak leads for other positions and I'm worried about what a future employer would think if they saw I only lasted a few weeks at my first job.

I appreciate your thoughts.

run away. tell the new employer you did not feel you were a good fit due to practice style. Look at one of the larger HMOs as many have urgent cares. Kaiser, providence, etc. these at least will not force you to practice bad medicine. not evey urgent care patient needs an IV, in fact very few do. IM meds work. PO hydration works for folks not needing surgery, etc.

The statement 'we're required to sell 60% of all medications prescribed on site, even if all of the patients who come in are medicare and medicaid and can get their prescriptions free at the pharmacy' has fraud written all over it. Leave immediately per the advice above. Don't list the position on your CV as you didn't finish the training period. Find a big name UC. Consider yourself lucky that you've caught on quickly, and you now know what to ask at upcoming interviews.

If you read what you wrote, you said you are worried about future employers might say about a four week employment (they won't care) but you also state you are concerned about a potential bad outcome, which may or may not result in a lawsuit or revocation of your license - at the very least, an investigation.  This is something future employers will definitely not like.  

No one will look after your license like you.  Protect it with your life.  Because if it's taken away, it might be hard to get another one.

My advice: next couple of shifts, tie up loose ends.  Give notice up to the end of your training period, or the end your shift.  Ziprecruiter, usajobs, healthecareers...go to hospital websites and look under careers.  Try emailing some of the recruiters there.  If you kept in touch with anybody from school, it might not be a bad idea to email them- or call.

18 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

If you read what you wrote, you said you are worried about future employers might say about a four week employment (they won't care) but you also state you are concerned about a potential bad outcome, which may or may not result in a lawsuit or revocation of your license - at the very least, an investigation.  This is something future employers will definitely not like.  

No one will look after your license like you.  Protect it with your life.  Because if it's taken away, it might be hard to get another one.

My advice: next couple of shifts, tie up loose ends.  Give notice up to the end of your training period, or the end your shift.  Ziprecruiter, usajobs, healthecareers...go to hospital websites and look under careers.  Try emailing some of the recruiters there.  If you kept in touch with anybody from school, it might not be a bad idea to email them- or call.

what do you mean by tie up loose ends? 

9 hours ago, LonguylandPA said:

what do you mean by tie up loose ends? 

Make sure lab results coming in are addressed, either by you or sent to a nurse, or you have them sent to another provider. No one likes to here of a positive test result six months after because the provider who ordered it is gone and the results are being sent nowhere.  If, for some reason, you have some coming back for a "recheck" on something, make sure it's either in the notes or you talk to the provider on that day. Ensure any patient calls are addressed.  For the amount of time in this job, unlikely to be much coming in.

3 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

Make sure lab results coming in are addressed, either by you or sent to a nurse, or you have them sent to another provider. No one likes to here of a positive test result six months after because the provider who ordered it is gone and the results are being sent nowhere.  If, for some reason, you have some coming back for a "recheck" on something, make sure it's either in the notes or you talk to the provider on that day. Ensure any patient calls are addressed.  For the amount of time in this job, unlikely to be much coming in.

got it thanks

Archived