Guard reserve

Just considering signing up for the Guard or Reserve

15+ primary care PA

Licensed in 3 states

two master degrees

Would have to apply for age waiver (know they do this for Doc's what about PA's?)

One question, not that money has much to do with this, but it would be nice to know what special pay, bonus, and board cert pay I can expect 

I am not looking at full time, instead guard, reserve is IMA.

Anyone know>??

Army Reserve and Army National Guard are your best bet for the age waiver, age of 42 limit with waiver needed for beyond that.

With your experience you will come in as an O-4, which is roughly $1000 per drill weekend and roughly $3000+ four your two week training obligation.

Army 3 year contract is good for $20,000 a year cash bonus, or $25,000 a year loan repayment. You can do a six year contract for both. Navy and Air Force currently do not have bonuses.

Health Insurance is $221 a month for a family with max annual out of pocket $500. Acecess to government TSP/401k with lowest management expense ratio in the industry; even lower than exchange traded funds.

Several other odds and ends benefits, like access to free Masters degrees at the service War colleges or Navy postgraduate school, the ability to take overseas orderes to Germany, Italy, Spain for 1-2 years, and a retirement pension that is better explained in another post.

Corpsman

So I am 48 with 4 years USAF enlisted, so a few years over on Age so hopefully that is okay

the bonus - is that $20k per year?  Saw somewhere that looked like a total $20k for the entire period?

Bummer no USAF bonus - army is hard living compared to the USAF :-)

the retirement for reserves/guard - does that really amount to much??

Do they still grab any PA from any unit/service and deploy them??

1 hour ago, d2305 said:

Don't forget that you can get deployed to the sand box for a year.

yeah, that is what has stopped me in the past (IMA sounds great but they take you!)

I get the military thing (prior service AD)

But as I age I realize this something I am not sure I can not do any more.....  time will tell... 

On 2/28/2018 at 8:17 AM, ventana said:

Corpsman

So I am 48 with 4 years USAF enlisted, so a few years over on Age so hopefully that is okay

**** The four years active reduces your “Effective” age by the same amount. So you are considered 44. The idea behind the age limit is to allow you a 20 year retirement within the manadory retirement ages. The reserves Max age is normally 62, your active time would allow them to approve a retirement age extension to 64, specifically as an officer and health care provider.

the bonus - is that $20k per year?  Saw somewhere that looked like a total $20k for the entire period?

****The bonus is $20k per year currently. It adjusts based on needs of the service. When service demand were a bit more operationally demanding (2012) the bonus was upwards of 40+K a year. They are just now starting to see the ends of those six year contracts.

Bummer no USAF bonus - army is hard living compared to the USAF :-)

****No argument there at all, but then every service is hard living next to the Air Force. Nothing like getting hardship duty location pay for living in a Navy Barracks, or combat hazard pay for flying a drone while stationed in CA.

the retirement for reserves/guard - does that really amount to much??

***It can if you maximize your options. You get 2.5% of base pay for every active year of service, and every three years of reserve time (if you maximize points) roughly equals one year of active time. So a twenty year retirement for you would be a little over 23% of $9,000 a month as an O-5. A check for $2,000+ a month for life is a nice addition to your retirement planning. The added benefit of health insurance is significant. It will be first payer until Medicare kicks in and then the second payer after Medicare , covering all of your medical expenses. While you are active in the reserves health insurance is $221 a month for a family, with a max annual out of pocket of $500.

Do they still grab any PA from any unit/service and deploy them??

****That can depend on the unit you are in. If infantry, then you go with your unit. If part of a medical battalion or forward surgical team you go with them. The benefit of the guard is you are assigned to a unit and “normally” deploy with that unit so you know who you are working with. In the Reserves, it is a mixed bag.

Finally, in regards to keeping up with the deployment environment. It is a big difference from being on humps and kicking down doors with Marines as a Corpsman vs being in a hardened base and working at the NATO Role Three trauma hospital as an officer. Having physical standards to keep up with is a nice additional motivating factor to stay in shape and physically active when I really don’t want to go on a run some days.

#1 do you want to serve as a member of the US Military? If the answer is no or I'm not sure, stay away. No matter the service there has been and will be cross branch detailing of PAs so don't count on not "going Green" in an area with imminent danger pay. The benefits are good and when/if you retire they are a very nice cushion in your Golden Years. With your prior service you know about the Green Weenie and Blue Falcons , they are in the officer ranks too and you will need another skill set to deal with them. Good luck no matter your choice.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:34 AM, ventana said:

Thanks

yup know about the  "mission comes first"

Just not sure I can get through life and not do this at some point....   a calling 

Then answer your calling.........one day you'll be saying shoulda, woulda, coulda  and regretting it everytime.

Archived