Tools and gadgets for success in PA school

• Administrator

I have medscape, epocrates free, and Skyscape free. I use medscape most of all. For drugs, I mostly use medscape, but I also have eMPR and Micromedex.

The only problem I have with medscape is that it sometimes doesn't update its offline content. Nothing's more frustrating to be in a dead spot (no connectivity) and find that Medscape says the article isn't current... and won't even show you the old version. That's really about the only time I break out the alternatives.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I have medscape, epocrates free, and Skyscape free. I use medscape most of all. For drugs, I mostly use medscape, but I also have eMPR and Micromedex.

The only problem I have with medscape is that it sometimes doesn't update its offline content. Nothing's more frustrating to be in a dead spot (no connectivity) and find that Medscape says the article isn't current... and won't even show you the old version. That's really about the only time I break out the alternatives.

I start school in a few months and my superviser recommended I get an iphone (yeah, I don't have on yet) so I could download he epocrates app. I was checking it out and I must say it looks really cool.

You can get this app on an iPod Touch also. Once it is downloaded you don't need an internet connection to use it (just to update).

I start school in a few months and my superviser recommended I get an iphone (yeah, I don't have on yet) so I could download he epocrates app. I was checking it out and I must say it looks really cool.

You can get this app on an iPod Touch also. Once it is downloaded you don't need an internet connection to use it (just to update).

Throughout my undergraduate education, I was always a "paper and pen" note-taker. Writing it down helped me pay attention and make my own interpretation of the material. However, I would always end up with a ridiculous mess of unorganized papers halfway through the semester. I am considering the following options for PA school:

1. Lenovo x220t ("hybrid" laptop and tablet) to take notes with in class

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X220_TABLET&category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

2. Higher-end scanner with automatic document feeder to scan hand-written notes into my computer after lectures each day ex: [h=1]Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner for PC[/h]http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Instant-Sheet-Fed-Scanner/dp/B001V9LQH0

3. Tablet such as iPad to take notes with.

Again, the purpose here is to stay organized and not have to lug around a giant binder full of papers for each class.

Opinions? Suggestions, anyone?

(Also, I will be purchasing a new laptop for school so suggestions on that are welcomed, too)

Throughout my undergraduate education, I was always a "paper and pen" note-taker. Writing it down helped me pay attention and make my own interpretation of the material. However, I would always end up with a ridiculous mess of unorganized papers halfway through the semester. I am considering the following options for PA school:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X220_TABLET&category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

2. Higher-end scanner with automatic document feeder to scan hand-written notes into my computer after lectures each day ex: [h=1]Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner for PC[/h]http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Instant-Sheet-Fed-Scanner/dp/B001V9LQH0

Again, the purpose here is to stay organized and not have to lug around a giant binder full of papers for each class.

(Also, I will be purchasing a new laptop for school so suggestions on that are welcomed, too)

I have been using an iPad to take all my notes this semester. I upload the powerpoints to my iPad and then I can write directly on them using any one of a number of annotation apps. No printing, no millions of binders of notes, always have all my notes for all my classes with me so I can study. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I love it. You need a stylus and you need to find an app that works for you. I started out with neuAnnotate (which was fine) and I now use notability because it has much smoother writing and a magnified writing area. I know this isn't for everyone, but I really like it...and it saves lots of trees.

I have been using an iPad to take all my notes this semester. I upload the powerpoints to my iPad and then I can write directly on them using any one of a number of annotation apps. No printing, no millions of binders of notes, always have all my notes for all my classes with me so I can study. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I love it. You need a stylus and you need to find an app that works for you. I started out with neuAnnotate (which was fine) and I now use notability because it has much smoother writing and a magnified writing area. I know this isn't for everyone, but I really like it...and it saves lots of trees.

labcatis, I like hand-writing, too. What I did for undergrad was take a folder with the current day's relevant notes in it to class, rather than lug the binder of all the notes. It required knowing what I'd need the night before, but that's probably a good thing anyway.

The main reason I won't switch to anything more high tech is because I'm a visual learner. Part of that is knowing how I wrote something and where I wrote it on the page. I would lose those characteristics if my notes were in print and digital.

labcatis, I like hand-writing, too. What I did for undergrad was take a folder with the current day's relevant notes in it to class, rather than lug the binder of all the notes. It required knowing what I'd need the night before, but that's probably a good thing anyway.

The main reason I won't switch to anything more high tech is because I'm a visual learner. Part of that is knowing how I wrote something and where I wrote it on the page. I would lose those characteristics if my notes were in print and digital.

• Administrator

I would check the school's position on handouts before investing in a scanner. In my program, every powerpoint was both projected and placed on Blackboard for student downloading. The only things handed out on printed paper were relatively small (a few sheets) handouts that weren't available in electronic format. I'd say I received, on average, no more than 4-5 printed pages per week.

• Administrator

I would check the school's position on handouts before investing in a scanner. In my program, every powerpoint was both projected and placed on Blackboard for student downloading. The only things handed out on printed paper were relatively small (a few sheets) handouts that weren't available in electronic format. I'd say I received, on average, no more than 4-5 printed pages per week.

Labactis,

I have been looking around for some great tools, and I found these two devices that may be a big help! I start school in May, and I'm still debating if I would use these enough or not...

Livescribe Echo smartpen

C-pen digital highlighter

I am also looking into the iPad, I wasn't sure if I would like taking notes on it, but the more I have looked into the note taking apps, the more I think I want to get the iPad.

2. Higher-end scanner with automatic document feeder to scan hand-written notes into my computer after lectures each day ex: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner for PC

http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Instant-Sheet-Fed-Scanner/dp/B001V9LQH0

Before you purchase any type of device with the anticipation of using it to record, such as the livescribe smart pen, make sure you check with your program to make sure they allow recording devices. The only reason I say this is because my program does not allow any type of recording device in the classroom. I'm not sure how common this is though. I think the livescribe pen is invaluable if you are taking handwritten notes on the special paper that is made for it; however, if power point lectures are provided I don't believe the pen will work correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! After reading your posts, I am leaning toward the good ole paper and pen method for note-taking. I am strongly considering the scanner to make an electronic copy of my hand-written notes. As for the original paper copies, I am thinking of having a binder for each "block" instead of by semester. For example, I would have a separate binder for cardio and digestive systems. I could then access the electronic copies via pdf through iCloud on my iPhone or an iPad for on-the-go access.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! After reading your posts, I am leaning toward the good ole paper and pen method for note-taking. I am strongly considering the scanner to make an electronic copy of my hand-written notes. As for the original paper copies, I am thinking of having a binder for each "block" instead of by semester. For example, I would have a separate binder for cardio and digestive systems. I could then access the electronic copies via pdf through iCloud on my iPhone or an iPad for on-the-go access.

Any thoughts on this?

Almost everyone in my class used Microsoft OneNote for notetaking. It allows you to "print" powerpoints to it and take notes on the side of the slides (just like the notes view printout). I believe if you had some type of tablet with handwriting recognition, you could take notes by hand with it, too. It keeps everything nicely organized into "notebooks" with folders and pages inside that.

Just another thought if you didn't want to use all that paper...there will definitely be a lot of notes!

Almost everyone in my class used Microsoft OneNote for notetaking. It allows you to "print" powerpoints to it and take notes on the side of the slides (just like the notes view printout). I believe if you had some type of tablet with handwriting recognition, you could take notes by hand with it, too. It keeps everything nicely organized into "notebooks" with folders and pages inside that.

Just another thought if you didn't want to use all that paper...there will definitely be a lot of notes!

I decided on getting an iPad. I bought a stylus and with the note taking app I got for .99 cents I can write notes very easily, I can upload power points and PDF's and write/highlight, directly on them. I can also take a picture, or a webpage and place it right in the notes and write directly on them. I can easily record in this app if needed, and review the entire lecture if I find that way productive. I have read about a lot of PA students using this method and they love it! All the notes are easily found and organized in one location and can easily be saved to the computer, shared to other classmates, and printed off if needed. The app I use is called "notability" and the stylus i found is the "bamboo" stylus for iPad. Watch the youtube video on Notability and you just may end up liking it!

Archived