Tools and gadgets for success in PA school

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what size whiteboard does anyone recommend?

Get the biga$$ whiteboard. Comes in handy.

Macbook Pro, new 3 gen I pad and I phone 4s rule.

Dxsaurus, Medscape, Epocrates,Flashcardlet, ePPS (USPSTF data base)(great for HCM reference) Up To Date, Air Wings,are the programs on the Ipad and phone that I use, mainly for clinic. Oh and the BMI calculator is handy too

I use this in a different variation. Keep in mind this was in undergrad, and I will have a lot more on my plate in PA school. I adopted a theory that my micro professor told me the beginning of class. That is.. by the time you take your major test (ie. midterm or final) you should have gone over the material 4-5 times. He said first, you want to pre-read the chapter before lecture.. thats 1. Then you sit in on lecture.. thats 2. The 3rd is sort of ambigious.. that is making notes while listening to lecture. Then going over your notes and possibly comb over important concepts in your text again... thats 4. The 5th is studying for the exam. By the time you hit #5, it's not even really studying.. this process enables you to apply it conceptually rather than cramming it in your head. I followed this while taking Micro, Patho and Epidemiology. I finished with a 98% in Patho (couldn't believe it.. and it wasnt a cake teacher either), I walked through the micro final with an A and... well, epi was a piece of cake anyways, but you get the point.

If I could somehow find the time in PA school to do this, well that's another story.

That's THE BIG ADJUSTMENT!

You wont have the time. PA school is nothing like under grad. IMO

Some 1 way smarter than me said this: "PA school is like trying to take a drink off a fire hose!"

Best of Luck!

For me:

I tried my old ways, like others here. I had to change many times b4 I found what worked for me.

I tried note cards but the amt of material was over whelming & not worth my time... IMO.

I agree it is very useful if you can read ahead of time. But as u will c, not always gonna happen.

I ended up doing a study group (gotta find the right group 4 ya.... I went thru a few b4 I found the 1 that worked 4 me)

There was 3 of us. We split material up, then met to teach each other the material. If 1 of us liked or was good in a subject they'd take lead.

I also liked the dry easer board, but u can always use an empty classroom. I did that also, as I'm a visual learner. Rewriting the info then recalling the info from memory did it for me.

My best advise. Keep trying til u find what works for u!

I decided on getting an iPad. I bought a stylus and with the note taking app I got for .99 cents I can write notes very easily, I can upload power points and PDF's and write/highlight, directly on them. I can also take a picture, or a webpage and place it right in the notes and write directly on them. I can easily record in this app if needed, and review the entire lecture if I find that way productive. I have read about a lot of PA students using this method and they love it! All the notes are easily found and organized in one location and can easily be saved to the computer, shared to other classmates, and printed off if needed. The app I use is called "notability" and the stylus i found is the "bamboo" stylus for iPad. Watch the youtube video on Notability and you just may end up liking it!

Looks great. Wish that was around when I was in school!

Archived