How much compensation should I expect to “moonlight?”

I’ve been working for a large, very successful cardiology practice for about 4 months now - this is my first job out of school. I presently work M-F about 9a-5p (all inpt) and round on every 6th weekend, usually done anywhere from 1-3p. I make 90k a year. One of the senior partners asked if I would like to pick up extra weekends and “make some minimum hourly wage, like 50, 55/hr.” This sounds reasonable to me but just wanted to get other people’s input. Thanks. 

I'd counter for 1.5 times your regular pay (approximately $65 given your "hourly" pay is $43/hr when grossly computed at 90k/52 weeks/40hrs). Much cheaper for the practice to pay you 1.5X than to pay one of the physicians to come in.

That said, being the new guy who's willing to help out the practice can go a long way towards annual reviews and overall reputation within the group. Don't work for free, but I wouldn't necessarily make much of a fuss for the difference between $55 and $65 if they won't bump up your hourly pay for the extra weekend shifts.

I agree with all of the above. I think I need to toe the line between being appropriately valued and showing commitment to the practice. I do plan on being with this practice for awhile and I think there’s potential to be generously compesated in the long run so I may want to take that into account. I appreciate your input. 

I would ask for more. Look at it like this you could easily make 65+ moonlighting in an urgent care or ED. Id counter and ask for at least 65. Then you'll at least get more then you initially would have. If the doc doesn't want to play then Id look at getting another side gig to make extra money on the weekend. 

I’ve been working for a large, very successful cardiology practice for about 4 months now - this is my first job out of school. I presently work M-F about 9a-5p (all inpt) and round on every 6th weekend, usually done anywhere from 1-3p. I make 90k a year. One of the senior partners asked if I would like to pick up extra weekends and “make some minimum hourly wage, like 50, 55/hr.” This sounds reasonable to me but just wanted to get other people’s input. Thanks. 

Wow, incredibly low.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The other question is do you have the power to stop taking extra shifts in the future?  When I first started with the FM clinic I currently work for I picked up lots of extra Saturday clinics.  I thought of it two ways: 1. extra money and 2. it makes me appear helpful (which I generally am).  I now have a baby coming and while I am continuing to pick up extra Saturdays now I won't want anything extra after my daughter's born.  Thankfully, I have the ability to say no because it was never a scheduled thing, people just asked, "Hey can you pick up my Saturday?"  I was never actually scheduled more often than normal.

So, in the future when your life changes in some way (kids, health, finances, etc.) will you have the ability to go back to the minimum requirements per your contract/job description?  To me, that's vastly more important that $10-$20+/hour.

This is a rabbit hole you may wish you never went down.

Whenever I get asked to pick up extra, the first thing I ask is what is in it for the person/entity asking?

Next, what is in it for me?

Then comes the personal inventory: how does this affect everything around me? Family? Finances? Free time? 

Best to look at this from many angles and ask why (5 times), how, who, what several times also.

Final consideration: Get it all in writing and do not sell yourself cheap.

Good luck.

George

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the sound advice - I agree that it’s good idea to value yourself highly from the getgo.

A little update:

They asked me to pickup extra weekends and will pay me $700 for both days. When i finish rounding each day is variable but in my experience it can take 4-6 hours but if the census is high it could easily take up to 8. This would effectively make the hourly wage anywhere from $44-$88. It could potentially be lucrative or could potentially be the same rate I more/less make now...

One more thing: an urgent care company has been brought to my attention recently from a PA I know and he said their per diem rate is $100/hr. This is obviously really good and something I’d like to look into, however, it does state in my contract with my current employer that I’m not allowed to make money from other companies...basically they rather have me work more and contribute to the practice rather than other companies. 

I am willing to risk it and hope I don’t get found out but just wanted to get ya’ll’s input on it.

56 minutes ago, Deadliftyourspirits said:

Thanks for all the sound advice - I agree that it’s good idea to value yourself highly from the getgo.

A little update:

They asked me to pickup extra weekends and will pay me $700 for both days. When i finish rounding each day is variable but in my experience it can take 4-6 hours but if the census is high it could easily take up to 8. This would effectively make the hourly wage anywhere from $44-$88. It could potentially be lucrative or could potentially be the same rate I more/less make now...

One more thing: an urgent care company has been brought to my attention recently from a PA I know and he said their per diem rate is $100/hr. This is obviously really good and something I’d like to look into, however, it does state in my contract with my current employer that I’m not allowed to make money from other companies...basically they rather have me work more and contribute to the practice rather than other companies. 

I am willing to risk it and hope I don’t get found out but just wanted to get ya’ll’s input on it.

If you like cardiology and plan to be with this company for a while, why risk it?  I understand the desire for more cashola now but when the cardiologist comes in with his 4yo, that urgent care will be your full time.  If you don't give a hoot about cardiology and want to hand out zpacks all day long, go for it.

PS if it's an urgent care "company" see the threads about new grads and urgent care situations.  

Archived