UCSF Clinical Research or more hours?

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Currently, I am an EMT on an ALS rig, shadowing a PA, volunteering as a standby event EMS for the racetrack, concerts, parades, and 49ers, and helping out with a mobile clinic to serve the homeless. I'll be traveling to Haiti this summer with Project Medishare. (other volunteer work but won't bore you all.)

So my problem is, I am taking classes now and doing two full days of clinical research at UCSF and then working 12 hours on the ALS rig. While also doing the above mentioned volunteer hours every weekend (or late weekday nights). I am over extending myself.

Would dropping the research at UCSF hurt my application? I believe research is more geared toward Med school...correct me if I'm wrong. I do enjoy the research (and thinks it does set me apart as an applicant)... but I love the patient contact with EMT and my volunteering opportunities. And want to maintain my good GPA. Anything helps. 

I’m gonna pull it. I talked to an admission director at a PA program and did say the research was good for an app and does count for hours because it’s “clinical”... but not enough if it’ll effect other areas where I get actual patient contact (EMT and clinic) emt pays shit but it’s better than $0. 

Thats the dilemma I am facing. I have talked to Stanford admissions and they "highly recommend" a certain number of pre reqs be taken at 4 year/upper division setting. All of my pre reqs will be coming from a CC. Then other schools require actual paid patient contact, which is the EMT. If i do the research, it takes away from the paid hours. But...its UCSF.

Archived