How much do I ask for - Urology

Hello! Looking for opinions on what salary to ask for at a urology/men's health clinic near a big city, northeast. I'm a new grad and they have trained a new grad before. The schedule is 8AM-5PM, M-F. Call is only from home/cell every 3-4 weeks, with most weeks only having 1-2 calls at most. No coming in after hours. The benefits that I know are below-

Health insurance ---- 3 weeks of paid time off and around 9 paid holiday off ---- $2000 CE

I need to ask about malpractice but i'm 98% sure it'll be covered.

The biggest drawback for me is that it's in a very expensive area where they said that most employees commute an hour every day + heavy traffic.

Thanks for your opinions!

1 hour ago, Monte said:

The conversation was led with "Where do you need to be (expect) with salary alone?"

So that's kind of where I'm trying to figure out. I think the job listing had a range of 90,000-115,000.

I would comment back, "I would like to know more about this position and the benefits prior to giving you a salary. I like to look at the whole package including if WE are going to be a good fit." Then say, "What is this position budgeted for?" I just used this line 2 weeks ago while speaking to the office manager (has been with the same small local company for 15 years) for a part time UC position. So, I know it works. Of course he low balled me and I frankly told him a few days later at our follow up conversation that the money is too low and we will have to come to terms with this prior to me accepting the position. He said, "For the right person we are willing to negotiate salary."

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 3:22 PM, Monte said:

Thanks for the great advice! To follow you up, they offered 85-90k and to paraphrase, I should be grateful for that. Anyways, I'm still looking!

This job searching isn't going so well..

Any updates

Urology has a limited pool to choose from as many PA's are not interested, that should help for negotiations 

I just had a opening offer of 120, in the north East

I am a new grad (December)  I accepted a Urology job about 40 min drive, after my 90 day period will be making 92,500 with 2k cme, 21 days PTO, 7 holidays, and 5 sick days, with pretty good bennies..   monday-friday, 830-500 with no call or weekends.  I am in middle tennessee.   

9 hours ago, pta1911 said:

I am a new grad (December)  I accepted a Urology job about 40 min drive, after my 90 day period will be making 92,500 with 2k cme, 21 days PTO, 7 holidays, and 5 sick days, with pretty good bennies..   monday-friday, 830-500 with no call or weekends.  I am in middle tennessee.   

Also note - there is no state income tax in TN.

13 hours ago, pta1911 said:

Low COL, but what are you making in the first 90 days?

On 4/21/2018 at 6:24 PM, Monte said:

They wouldn't go above 87.5k. I passed!

On 2/13/2018 at 1:22 PM, Monte said:

Thanks for the great advice! To follow you up, they offered 85-90k and to paraphrase, I should be grateful for that. Anyways, I'm still looking!

This job searching isn't going so well..

You've seemed to have bounced around quite a bit... IM, ortho, urology... Do you have a specific field of interest? Have you considered relocating to a different region?

Remember, while money is great, a supportive work environment for a new grad is equally as important. 

3 hours ago, Sed said:

You've seemed to have bounced around quite a bit... IM, ortho, urology... Do you have a specific field of interest? Have you considered relocating to a different region?

Remember, while money is great, a supportive work environment for a new grad is equally as important. 

Hi! Those were just the job offers I had interviewed for. I want to end up in emergency medicine eventually.. I've been working in Ortho for about 2.5 months now. Already not enjoying it but it's what I have until I can break into UC/ER!

1 hour ago, Monte said:

Hi! Those were just the job offers I had interviewed for. I want to end up in emergency medicine eventually.. I've been working in Ortho for about 2.5 months now. Already not enjoying it but it's what I have until I can break into UC/ER!

seriously consider an em residency.....there are 30 now. apply to 5 and you should get into 1. 

Archived