Doctor of Health Science vs Doctor of Medical Science

Hello,

I was recently accepted into Rutgers Physician Assistant Program for Fall 2018 and have been on the hunt for as much information as possible about post PA education. I am evaluating if I want to complete a doctorate after PA school and some years of clinical experience for the advancement of my career into possible administrative roles. I have come across these two programs and have compared and contrasted their curriculum, but am unsure of which would be the most beneficial. I will copy links to both curriculums down below.

http://www.evms.edu/education/doctoral_programs/doctor_of_health_sciences/curriculum/

https://www.lynchburg.edu/graduate/physician-assistant-medicine/doctor-of-medical-science/curriculum/

My opinion would be that the EVMS program would be better for admin work.  Opinion based on the degree having more admin courses then Lynchburg.  I do think Lynchburg is a great program for PAs though.  An MBA/MHA my be all you need to break into admin.  However, compare prices of getting a doctorate vs an MBA.  I’ve found MBA program for $9k and others at >$50K.  Well, you could get a doctorate at around $30k.  Something to think about.  

Also maybe consider DrPH depending on your career goals. I’m currently finishing up an ecology & evolution MS and my research has focused on genetics of drug resistance in bacteria. Just got into PA school and was thinking of DHS or DMS, but I think public health with focus on epi will be best for me and allow me to do academics and research, and add clinical value to my practice (esp if infectious disease is any part of it). 

Im glad to see other PA students thinking about post-PA doctorate education. More the better I think in this ridiculous climate of degree inflation from nursing

23 hours ago, lemurcatta said:

Also maybe consider DrPH depending on your career goals. I’m currently finishing up an ecology & evolution MS and my research has focused on genetics of drug resistance in bacteria. Just got into PA school and was thinking of DHS or DMS, but I think public health with focus on epi will be best for me and allow me to do academics and research, and add clinical value to my practice (esp if infectious disease is any part of it). 

Im glad to see other PA students thinking about post-PA doctorate education. More the better I think in this ridiculous climate of degree inflation from nursing

That's interesting.Don't you need a MPH before you can do a DPH?

3 hours ago, lemurcatta said:

At least the schools I have looked at, no. You need a BS/MS in the health sciences, life sciences, medicine, or related fields.

I looked at DrPH programs and most wanted non-mph folks to take more intro sequence coursework in stats, epidemiology, etc before starting the doctoral program.

4 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I looked at DrPH programs and most wanted non-mph folks to take more intro sequence coursework in stats, epidemiology, etc before starting the doctoral program.

I don't see why you want one unless it helps you make more money as an administrator. I regret not getting a MBA instead. Most healthcare CEOs I met have MBAs not even MHAs.

Archived