General ways to strengthen your application (besides just GPA)

Thought I'd start this thread where we can all add ways that people can strengthen their apps, even if they have a low GPA. We get a ton of threads asking for this advice so maybe we can put it all together:

1) Start shadowing a PA - look for local chapters of PA's and ask any nurses or doctors you know. Try to get at least 30-35 hours shadowing if possible, but even 4 hours is better than nothing. The PA you shadow may also write you a letter of recommendation (LORs).

2) Get lots of good health care experience (HCE). Become a CNA or an EMT if you don't know where to start. Work on a medical or psychiatric floor where you interact with patients, not at a front desk or in a home health care agency, if possible. Try to rack hours up early, or if you are about to apply, maybe work some overtime to get as many hours as possible. Try to get at least 200 but ideally over 1000.

3) Start your personal statement (PS) early, work hard on it, and ask for help on it. You can start your PS way before you apply. It should be heartfelt and about you. Don't just say what you like about medicine, explain what has built your character to prepare you for PA school, and show your passion for helping other people.

4) Think early about who is going to write your LORs. If you don't know anyone, get to know some people. Ideally, you can try for a PA. Also a science professor is a good one. You can get to know the science professor by going to their office (no need to kiss ***, just show them you are passionate about your education and get to know them personally so they can write you a good LOR). If you work with PAs or MDs or DOs, try to find one who is personable and get to know him/her so you can ask for the LOR later. Try to avoid getting LORs from middle management or RNs.

5) Volunteer. It doesn't have to be medical, but it can. There are usually clinics that take volunteers albeit many of them stick you doing clerical work. That's okay. Or just volunteer with the handicapped or seniors or whatever. It shows you are involved in your community and find a way to give time to help others.

6) Apply early. Start your application as soon as CASPA lets you. Start your LORs first. Get your PS done on time. Have your schools picked out early. Apply to at least 9 schools. Consider it an investment in yourself. Get your application done as soon as possible and apply as early as possible!

7) Prepare for your interview. Ask for help here. If you know you get nervous, do a mock interview with a friend. Make sure your suit/attire is ready well before the interview.

• Administrator

Here's two more in addition to the excellent advice above.

Take extra classes! As an EMT Basic, I had ACLS and an IV therapy class before my second/successful application. In my mind, this showed that I was not simply looking to PA school to "upgrade" my level of care provided, but was busy upgrading myself well before I started PA school.

Attend Seminars! I had attended an EMS conference twice and a fire service leadership conference twice. All four went on CASPA as other training. This showed that I was going above and beyond the minimums, and had already adapted the future requirements to earn CME each year.

Regarding HCE, I would say get at least 1000 minimum, 2000 is a better bet.

many higher tier schools want > 2000 hrs, so why limit yourself?

free clinics are a good bet for volunteer experience and community service.

Agreed. Nearly every school I looked at required a minimum of around 1000, I don't know where 200 would meet any minimum requirements.

Archived