What to do before PA school???

Hello Everyone 

I was accepted into PA school and will be starting in August. I have always worked at nursing homes and hospitals over the past 4 years while in college (I had about 3,000 hours when i applied). Now I am currently employed at a hospital but wanted to change things up and have a  more relaxing/fun job before starting PA school. Do you think that is a good idea to get a job at restaurant or something like that or keep working at the hospital? Do you have an opinion on that? 

Hello Everyone 
I was accepted into PA school and will be starting in August. I have always worked at nursing homes and hospitals over the past 4 years while in college (I had about 3,000 hours when i applied). Now I am currently employed at a hospital but wanted to change things up and have a  more relaxing/fun job before starting PA school. Do you think that is a good idea to get a job at restaurant or something like that or keep working at the hospital? Do you have an opinion on that? 

Do whatever your heart desires...you already have your golden ticket! I had a non-healthcare job for a year before starting school (for financial & other reasons). Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're already accepted to PA school so do whatever makes you the most money or is more fulfilling.  Disclaimer:  My opinion - If you are just a CNA or something like that, it's not very high yield.  More experience taking vitals and walking people to the bathroom isn't going to really do much for you in PA school.

I actually decreased my hours as a CNA and focused more on my hobbies during this time and family this time. I found my stress to decrease and have less anxiety about school coming up so soon. I'm really enjoying my free time before school starts. If that, for you, is another job in the meantime, then go for it. The only issue I ran into when trying to get a new job was people would ask about my future plans and if I mentioned PA school, I feel like they didn't want to invest in training me. So maybe you should keep that to yourself and then when the time comes that school is starting, tell them you got accepted last minute and you didn't know you would? That's what happened to someone who worked with me after working with us for 6 months. Best of luck to you! 

1 hour ago, ajames said:

I actually decreased my hours as a CNA and focused more on my hobbies during this time and family this time. I found my stress to decrease and have less anxiety about school coming up so soon. I'm really enjoying my free time before school starts. If that, for you, is another job in the meantime, then go for it. The only issue I ran into when trying to get a new job was people would ask about my future plans and if I mentioned PA school, I feel like they didn't want to invest in training me. So maybe you should keep that to yourself and then when the time comes that school is starting, tell them you got accepted last minute and you didn't know you would? That's what happened to someone who worked with me after working with us for 6 months. Best of luck to you! 

I am also facing the same problem! My P.A. Program starts in September and I wanted to pick up an additional job to save a bit before all of the chaos starts. No one wants someone that will stick around for less than a year :(

I am listening to an audible book called memorizing pharmacology. It's really good and goes over 200 drugs. I never took a pharm class so it's gonna be my biggest struggle. It was also recommended on a previous thread with regards to someone using their time before school starts. I just listen when driving or lounging around. 

17 hours ago, ajames said:

I am listening to an audible book called memorizing pharmacology. It's really good and goes over 200 drugs. I never took a pharm class so it's gonna be my biggest struggle. It was also recommended on a previous thread with regards to someone using their time before school starts. I just listen when driving or lounging around. 

Awesome! I am going to get that audiobook!! Thank you! 

Archived