Hello everyone! I am currently taking UNE chem II online and I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the midterm and the final? I don't know if the tests are going to be based on the homework or the quizzes or what? Any tips?? Thank you! Also the lectures are useless haha 

I took chemistry at UNE and got a C- like you. I took a genetics class at Doane to test to see how the classes were. They are much better. They have a lot more assignments involved so tests aren't soley your grades. However, with that said Doane does use blackboard and there has been some issues with blackboard this semester. Overall, the professors are willing to work with you through that. I made a B in Genetics and currently have an A in General Biology (retake).  I'm taking a couple more classes in march and will have Biochemistry as my one preq in process. I've made an A or B in every science class I have taken once I got my act together. I was not a fan of Chemistry at UNE. I second Doane.

4 minutes ago, VAgirl89 said:

I took chemistry at UNE and got a C- like you. I took a genetics class at Doane to test to see how the classes were. They are much better. They have a lot more assignments involved so tests aren't soley your grades. However, with that said Doane does use blackboard and there has been some issues with blackboard this semester. Overall, the professors are willing to work with you through that. I made a B in Genetics and currently have an A in General Biology (retake).  I'm taking a couple more classes in march and will have Biochemistry as my one preq in process. I've made an A or B in every science class I have taken once I got my act together. I was not a fan of Chemistry at UNE. I second Doane.

Hey! What are the UNE Chem tests like? Any advice? 

On 2/20/2019 at 5:27 PM, FB115672 said:

@VAgirl89 

I am considering registering for the Doane Genetics 3/11-5/11. When you took the class could you go at your own pace to finish early or were you limited to the 8 week time frame? Also, is the class more homework based than quizzes and testing? 

Thank you

This is an example of grade distribution from the patho syllabus. You can email enrollment@doane.edu and they will send you course specific syllabi.

3FC966F0-D843-42E1-B609-B9BCE1644D44.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 11:06 PM, suepe said:

@AllisonH @nattyb I'm taking UNE Microbio right now and a bit worried about the final since it's so heavily weighted. Any advice on how to prepare for the final exam? Was the final similar in difficulty as the individual chapter exams?  Please let me know. Thank you 🙂

I'm in a similar boat, and have to finish ASAP 😕 Any advice? I'm reading through all of the HOL reports and material again to prep for that final, but don't really know what they'll ask, and then I have to take the lecture final by Friday.

This class was absolutely awful. The lectures didn't line up with the slides, and they were poorly organized and scripted. I learned more skimming the book and studying entire test banks and extrapolating what the chapter was about.  

I took Chem 1 (retake from undergrad) and am about to finish anatomy at UNE. The prof for Chem 1 was good and had a lot of assignments along the way to keep our engagement and grades up, but he wasn't the lecturer for the powerpoints and the person who did the Chem 1 lectures was LITERALLY reading off pieces of paper - you could hear her turning the pages and reading in a total deadpan. I could have given the lectures. The at-home labs were time consuming but kind of fun as a hands-on person, and helped me boost my grade in that course.

Anatomy has been terrible. I love the professor's lectures - he is obviously super knowledgeable and passionate about the topics - but there are NO study guides and the only grades are the 4 exams with 3 point quizzes in between. So it's incredibly weighted and there is a lot of neuroanatomy and super detailed information that is difficult to gather from lectures alone, and also by teaching yourself. The labs are also awful. I took online anatomy a few years ago for my massage license using digital software designed for medical students and it was highly interactive and very engaging. The lab for the UNE anatomy course is just old (circa 1994-2000s) grainy photographs of cadaver dissections with identification multiple choice questions. 

That being said, I am taking a handful of classes (microbio, chem 2, bio 1 as a retake since it's been too many years post grad for me) at EDUKAN online and they are about 1/3 - 1/4 the cost of UNE and are accepted by the programs I'm applying to. They are progressive instead of self-paced, but that keeps you on top of the material. The professors are extremely available and engaged with the classes too. The online format using Canvas is super easy to work with as well. Highly recommend. Also, the labs are totally virtual so you don't have to tinker with chemicals in your house; it was hard for me to conduct mini experiments from Chem 1 at UNE in a studio apartment with no ventilation and a nosy dog. 

Taking Biochem at Doane per everyone' suggestions here. Sounds like I will actually learn something!

Hope this helps someone make decisions about pre-reqs. 

• Like 1