Tell the interviewers my future plans?

Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to bring up in an interview that I'm registered to take another science course next semester? I registered for an upper level bio class to improve my application for next cycle, in case this cycle doesn't go the way I imagined (which is looking that way). I have some interviews coming up and I want to know if it would be looked at as a good thing that I'm taking an extra class next semester or if I should just keep it to myself and not say anything. All of the schools I applied and interviewing at I have already met all of their pre-requisites, so this class isn't exactly necessary for these schools this cycle, however, like I said I wanted a back up plan for next cycle, and this class is recommended by a lot of programs. Will taking an extra science class look like a good thing to them or will they be confused as to why Im even registered for it if I already got interviews? 

Being wait-listed isn't the end of the world and it doesn't mean you will definitely not get an acceptance eventually from those two programs.

Take your acceptance, and I also agree with Jdabrowski. Who knows how much more competitive the pool will be next cycle. Either way, it's getting tougher and tougher each cycle, it's a big risk.

Yes I understand how competitive it is and I am definitely not writing off my acceptance, of course I am going to go where I get in. However the next couple of schools that I have I would rather attend if I got an acceptance (for reasons such as location, them not being on probation, etc. etc.)  I think my first post was a little too confusing and not straight to the point.

The point of my post was to ask you guys if it would look like a good thing to be taking another class next semester, even though they don't straight up require this science class (they still highly recommend it) or if I should just not say anything at all.

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for your help!

To answer your main question.

I would tell them the grade you receive when you complete the course and update them on that. I don't think having a class in progress would sway their decision since your application already got their attention, and they got a feel for you from the interview.

PS- hope everything works out.  I feel adamant about the situation because my first cycle I received no interviews at all and I would have killed to be in your shoes last year.

Forgot to ask, is the acceptance at a school on probation?

I would not even tell, because depending on the program they would not want any classes to be in progress  no matter the reason. If it is not on your CASPA app no need to bring it up. For example, the school I will be attending said you cannot take class after Fall 2017 for this cycle and that it could not be anymore than 2 at the time of application and once the class is complete to send the grades directly to them. I can see you are planning ahead, so for interviews through Dec 2017 for this cycle I would not tell them because it is irrelevant and if you get accepted you can withdraw from the class but if you have interviews in early Jan you should tell the interviewers as you will be attending that class when you have interviews.

Good luck

I have been asked the question "if you don't get in this cycle what will you do?" in that case it may be important to tell them you are planning on strengthening you application (with the planned classes) and re applying! Other than that I would say it shouldn't help or hurt you either way!

Good luck!!

Just my opinion but I don't think it would be an issue. If anyone asks, you could say something like you found the course content interesting or you wanted to stay academically engaged before beginning PA school. There are a whole slew of reasons why you might be looking into taking a course in spring and it shouldn't be any of an adcoms business why. As for someone mentioning you aren't allowed to take classes, I find that hard to believe. For pre-reqs absolutely, there usually is a deadline or only 1/2 can be in progress etc. But to flat out say, during the duration of this process we forbid you from taking a class... I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Palurker said:

Just my opinion but I don't think it would be an issue. If anyone asks, you could say something like you found the course content interesting or you wanted to stay academically engaged before beginning PA school. There are a whole slew of reasons why you might be looking into taking a course in spring and it shouldn't be any of an adcoms business why. As for someone mentioning you aren't allowed to take classes, I find that hard to believe. For pre-reqs absolutely, there usually is a deadline or only 1/2 can be in progress etc. But to flat out say, during the duration of this process we forbid you from taking a class... I have my doubts.

It was said that you cannot have cclasses in progress after Fall 2017 if you are applying for this cycle. And if you are taking pre reqs than it can only be 1/2 and they have to be over by the end of the semester.... no one said that you could not take any at all. So you misread. That’s why It was also said not to list the class on CASPA if it’s irrelevant aka not a prereq 

Archived