Waitlist after interview

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the right thing to do is after being placed on the waitlist/alternate list post interview? I have read that you should send a letter of intent to the school stating it's your top choice, why you're a good fit, etc. but I've also heard from people to do nothing and just wait. I don't want to be an overkill with the letter but I do want them to know that I'm really interested in the program and would definitely attend if pulled from the waitlist... any thoughts?

Stay put!

From my experience, applicants with great records (who didn't shoot themselves in the foot during interviews) get offers first, while people who were not acceptable are denied shortly after interviews. The rest of the applicants are wait-listed and have been put into a rough order of some kind. As people turn down offers -- or even change their minds about going to PA school this year -- more slots open up and those from the wait-list start getting nice calls.

If your situation changes or several weeks have gone by since you've heard anything, you can certainly call for an update. Otherwise, I'd just let the big machine be. That they are your first choice is not meaningful to them; they have to assume that most of the people they make offers to will accept.

Be patient and good luck!

This has been asked and answered every year.  

Frankly, your intent isn't going to sway a school.  If you were such a stellar candidate that they wanted you that badly, you would have been accepted outright, not put on the waitlist.  Telling them you want to go there or they are your number one choice doesn't change the fact that you aren't their number one choice.

That said, waitlist isn't rejected so keep taking interviews if you have them, have a plan B in case you don't get in this year, and be ready to change your plans as your status changes.  Plan for all possible scenarios regarding moving, start dates, etc.  And keep improving your app in case you have to apply again next year.

3 hours ago, MT2PA said:

This has been asked and answered every year.  

Frankly, your intent isn't going to sway a school.  If you were such a stellar candidate that they wanted you that badly, you would have been accepted outright, not put on the waitlist.  Telling them you want to go there or they are your number one choice doesn't change the fact that you aren't their number one choice.

That said, waitlist isn't rejected so keep taking interviews if you have them, have a plan B in case you don't get in this year, and be ready to change your plans as your status changes.  Plan for all possible scenarios regarding moving, start dates, etc.  And keep improving your app in case you have to apply again next year.

thank you, i know i wasn't a stellar candidate hence why i was waitlisted. i was just asking a question to see what the right thing to do is in these situations.

7 hours ago, modernlily16 said:

thank you, i know i wasn't a stellar candidate hence why i was waitlisted. i was just asking a question to see what the right thing to do is in these situations.

My apologies.  My point wasn't to come down on you as a candidate.  Just to highlight that a letter of intent is essentially not going to hold any weight for an admission committee.  When all is said and done we all end up as PA-C and no one can ever tell who was waitlisted or accepted outright.

9 hours ago, MT2PA said:

My apologies.  My point wasn't to come down on you as a candidate.  Just to highlight that a letter of intent is essentially not going to hold any weight for an admission committee.  When all is said and done we all end up as PA-C and no one can ever tell who was waitlisted or accepted outright.

If you were a poor candidate, you probably would have been denied by now. Don't give up just yet.

If you have things to update - classes complete, more experience, etc. - I would pass that along. Otherwise, I would have sent a note that said thanks for the interview and left it at that. 

Applicants might not believe it, but the admissions waiting process is incredibly frustrating for PA programs too. We want a solid class seated as early as possible so we can start pushing out info to incoming students. 

Guest polishedpas

I'm a little biased to this question due to my own personal experience, and keep in mind that everyone's is different.. I did really well during my interview and I believe I got wait listed because I didn't have the most stellar sGPA. 2 weeks after I got wait listed I emailed the program director who had interviewed me and asked if he could tell me more about the wait list process and how it works. He gave me a thorough answer and even let me know my spot on the list (definitely not something that gave me hope, by the way). I replied thanking him and letting him know that I was going to do whatever was possible to improve my application, and was not going to give up. About a week later I got a phone call from that director letting me know I was accepted.

Yes, they have their systematic/statistical ways of ranking you, but as my program director told me, that's not the end all be all. Was it my waitlist follow up email that got me in? No. But maybe it did remind him of all the passion and perseverance I showed during my interview. Reflect on how your experience was and see if there's anything you can do to show that you belong! (Without being bothersome). Maybe it's best to stay put, but if you have any questions at all, you can definitely email them.

Try to remain hopeful! I was so certain I wasn't going to get in, and here I am now, starting in a month. :) Good luck!!

Archived