Just getting interview from 2016 to 2017 cycle

I got an interview invite in the first week of November and I have the interview on November 30th with classes starting January 2018. The school's deadline was March 2017 for the 2016-2017 cycle. From reading about the program, they normally do interviews in the summer (July to September) and prior to this invite I got an email in July about interviews being sent out for September. 

Is it normal to get an interview this late in the "game"?

What are my chances, if any, since this seems like a last minute or late interview?

Should I bring an updated resume since a lot has happened since I submitted my application last year December?

Thanks for any help if given! I really appreciate any input that can be offered 

If you're getting an offer this late it likely means someone from the accepted class bailed last minute and they are trying to fill a spot so they don't lose out on any tuition.

No idea what your chances are. Maybe they are just interviewing one at at time until they find a fit or maybe they are pulling as many students as possible from last years cycle to interview.

It is not 'normal' necessarily but I've heard of programs with spring start dates either doing this or occasionally pulling an app from the new cycle early in April when the cycle opens for a spot that same May/June....it's not common and frankly schools aren't doing it for your benefit, they are doing it to maximize profits.  That said, use common sense and treat it as a real interview and in the end at least it's one more interview.

Wow! You have literally no time to prepare if you get in. Better than going no where, of course. I wonder if it would be appropriate to e-mail your updated resume so it can be reviewed prior to the interview if possible. I am in no position to assert that is an appropriate action, but it is something I personally would explore. Good luck!!

29 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

If you're getting an offer this late it likely means someone from the accepted class bailed last minute and they are trying to fill a spot so they don't lose out on any tuition.

No idea what your chances are. Maybe they are just interviewing one at at time until they find a fit or maybe they are pulling as many students as possible from last years cycle to interview.

It is not 'normal' necessarily but I've heard of programs with spring start dates either doing this or occasionally pulling an app from the new cycle early in April when the cycle opens for a spot that same May/June....it's not common and frankly schools aren't doing it for your benefit, they are doing it to maximize profits.  That said, use common sense and treat it as a real interview and in the end at least it's one more interview.

Thank you for replying!! I will certainly treat it as a real one. I believe it is a small group of use interviewing that day based off the itinerary. Is it appropriate to ask during the interview how many positions are left to fill? 

31 minutes ago, Wellness said:

Wow! You have literally no time to prepare if you get in. Better than going no where, of course. I wonder if it would be appropriate to e-mail your updated resume so it can be reviewed prior to the interview if possible. I am in no position to assert that is an appropriate action, but it is something I personally would explore. Good luck!!

The lack of preparation if I get in frightens me the most especially since I will be moving over 1200 miles North in a matter of weeks. I will email them now to see if I could email my resume. Thank you so much for your input!

If you get in that is amazing. Dont worry about the move. You will find a place. But since you arent looking ahead of time, expect to spend more money than if you had months to move in. Dont worry about preparation. Biggest advice most PA students get is to do nothing and enjoy time at home resting before you start. I did absolutely nothing all the way up to the first day of class and I don't regret it at all. You will learn everything you need to learn in the program. Thats why you pay such an enourmous amount for tuition. Good luck. 

20 hours ago, toriAfuturePA said:

I got an interview invite in the first week of November and I have the interview on November 30th with classes starting January 2018. The school's deadline was March 2017 for the 2016-2017 cycle. From reading about the program, they normally do interviews in the summer (July to September) and prior to this invite I got an email in July about interviews being sent out for September. 

Is it normal to get an interview this late in the "game"?

What are my chances, if any, since this seems like a last minute or late interview?

Should I bring an updated resume since a lot has happened since I submitted my application last year December?

Thanks for any help if given! I really appreciate any input that can be offered 

Is it with MCPHS Worcester/Manchester? I went their for PA school and had classmates who were literally accepted a week before class began. I would recommend updating the resume if there is anything new. Otherwise just take it as an opportunity if it doesn’t pan out in your favor.

3 hours ago, clballin said:

Is it with MCPHS Worcester/Manchester? I went their for PA school and had classmates who were literally accepted a week before class began. I would recommend updating the resume if there is anything new. Otherwise just take it as an opportunity if it doesn’t pan out in your favor.

No it is not MCPHS. I did send them my resume because I did way more things than when I initial applied. Thank you for your helpful words as well.

Archived