New Grad Relocating to Pittsburgh

Hello all, I will be graduating from a PA program in western Ohio in about a month. I'm relocating to Pittsburgh after taking boards, and I was hoping for some advice regarding job searching and best places to work. My research has shown that the local job market is pretty saturated and salaries are low, especially through UPMC. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area has recommendations of outlying towns and hospitals that could provide better job opportunities. I welcome any advice from those of you familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!

There are lots of opportunities in Pittsburgh. I haven't started school yet, but I work in Pittsburgh (commute 45 minutes from Ohio). UPMC doesn't pay well in my experience (I worked for them for a brief time). There is Allegheny Health Network, St Clair Hospital (where I work, highly recommend, not sure what PAs make but they pay us lab folk very well), Ohio Valley Hospital, Washington Hospital. And if you would be open to staying in Ohio, where cost of living is far cheaper, you could commute. Bonus: I'll sell you my house! Lol. We are moving in December so that I can attend school. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try to help the best I can! 

17 hours ago, DStillwagon said:

There are lots of opportunities in Pittsburgh. I haven't started school yet, but I work in Pittsburgh (commute 45 minutes from Ohio). UPMC doesn't pay well in my experience (I worked for them for a brief time). There is Allegheny Health Network, St Clair Hospital (where I work, highly recommend, not sure what PAs make but they pay us lab folk very well), Ohio Valley Hospital, Washington Hospital. And if you would be open to staying in Ohio, where cost of living is far cheaper, you could commute. Bonus: I'll sell you my house! Lol. We are moving in December so that I can attend school. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try to help the best I can! 

Congrats on getting into a program! And thanks for your thoughtful response; I really appreciate it!

UPMC salaries are insultingly low.  Try AHN, Excela, Washington or St. Clair.  Conemaugh is an hour or so away too.  Plus, there are plenty of urgent care/MedExpress companies in the area.  Keep in mind smaller facilities allow APPs to do more and typically pay more.  But, overall, you can expect a lower salary in this area than pretty much anywhere else.

Archived