New Community Service Work

I just began community service with NY Cares (feeding the homeless, soup kitchen, helping elderly work out..., etc.). I already submitted my application but I was wondering if I should update my application with this since I only have 3 hours. Would it be worth it? I began doing this so I can better my application JUST in case this cycle doesn't work out even though I'm waiting on a lot of schools. Should I wait until next cycle or update my recent application with this? I'll most likely do 3-6 hours a week.

47 minutes ago, AspiringPA21 said:

I just began community service with NY Cares (feeding the homeless, soup kitchen, helping elderly work out..., etc.). I already submitted my application but I was wondering if I should update my application with this since I only have 3 hours. Would it be worth it? I began doing this so I can better my application JUST in case this cycle doesn't work out even though I'm waiting on a lot of schools. Should I wait until next cycle or update my recent application with this? I'll most likely do 3-6 hours a week.

I can say for sure that this type of community service comes up during the interview.  If I hadn't gotten accepted to a PA program, this is what I planned to do to improve my application (instead of gaining more healthcare hours).  Because so many programs find this valuable, I'd say you should update your application.  Write it in such a way that indicates you plan to continue this service.  Any edge you can give yourself to get the interview invitation is worthwhile.

30 minutes ago, lc3035 said:

I can say for sure that this type of community service comes up during the interview.  If I hadn't gotten accepted to a PA program, this is what I planned to do to improve my application (instead of gaining more healthcare hours).  Because so many programs find this valuable, I'd say you should update your application.  Write it in such a way that indicates you plan to continue this service.  Any edge you can give yourself to get the interview invitation is worthwhile.

Thank you. I was thinking the same even though my hours are extremely minimal. 

Just wondering, what would my "title" be at such an organization? There is nothing on the website but when putting this in experiences in CASPA it requires your title in the organization. Would it just be 'volunteer?'

14 hours ago, AspiringPA21 said:

Thank you. I was thinking the same even though my hours are extremely minimal. 

Just wondering, what would my "title" be at such an organization? There is nothing on the website but when putting this in experiences in CASPA it requires your title in the organization. Would it just be 'volunteer?'

Something like, "Volunteer, NY Cares", or "Community Service Volunteer, NY Cares", should get their attention.  All you want them to get from the title is that you're active in community service.  

Archived