Sign in to follow this  

Sleep medicine as a PA?

one of my former em colleagues is doing it. he reads sleep studies at 6 different ctrs and writes for cpap machines and is paid per study $$$$$$$ , but boring as crap...

He is reading sleep studies??  My understanding was that only a boarded sleep physician, neurologist, pulm or ENT can read studies and bill for their interp. 

Maybe this is different in Washington, but I'm fairly confident for CMS a PA reading is not reimbursable nor would it be a valid study for the purposes of of obtaining a CPAP. 

If this is is changed I need to find a lab that will let me read on the weekends (my HCE was as a sleep tech for 14 years)

pretty sure he is doing the reading for 6 centers with a single doc who is the sponsoring physician of record. WA requires no chart review so the doc doesn't actyually need to do anything except be a name on a form. WA law allows a PA to sign anything their SP can...

I looked into it some more. The doc has to read for accredited labs as a requirement for accreditation, but a lab can operate without accreditation. 

Now to find a lab that will let me read....