Questions regarding interview attire

I apologize in advance for the trivial question!! :)  Is there a right/wrong or proper/improper for the girls regarding interview attire aside from dress clothes, low heals, no bright colors, etc.?  I've spoken to students in different PA programs who have conflicting opinions on stockings/pantyhose.  Personally, I didn't think anyone wore stockings in 2017, so I began reading different websites on the appropriate attire for graduate school interview and again, it is a split decision.  Is it more professional to wear stockings with a skirt suit or is it totally acceptably to not wear stockings with a skirt?

I wore skin colored panty hose and black stockings with my black skirt suit with 2 inch black wedges from nine West, more on the conservative side. I felt like it helped me look more polished but its your personal choice.  I actually wore two in case one ripped but I'm just a bit crazy. 

I did wear a bright colored shirt on the inside to match the school's colors. I think it's personally what you say and how you present yourself. As long as you're comfortable and confident you will be ? alright. 

Is it more professional?  Maybe.  Is it the norm?  Probably not.

I wore pants to avoid making this decision.  I would say more people did NOT wear hose compared to those that did in my interviews.  This is not likely something that is going to make or break your acceptance.  Showing up in jeans and sneakers would.  Wearing inappropriately revealing clothing would.  Hose vs no hose, not a deal breaker.

2 hours ago, boli said:

for males, is it considered mandatory to wear a suit jacket? I would prefer and be much more comfortable in a shirt and tie with slacks. 

Nothing is ever mandatory but if you are the only one not in a jacket, it will stand out in an unfavorable way.  Wear it, take it off if you are in informal parts of the day (tour, student only panels, etc).

I apologize in advance for the trivial question!! :)  Is there a right/wrong or proper/improper for the girls regarding interview attire aside from dress clothes, low heals, no bright colors, etc.?  I've spoken to students in different PA programs who have conflicting opinions on stockings/pantyhose.  Personally, I didn't think anyone wore stockings in 2017, so I began reading different websites on the appropriate attire for graduate school interview and again, it is a split decision.  Is it more professional to wear stockings with a skirt suit or is it totally acceptably to not wear stockings with a skirt?
I wore a charcoal colored pant suit with a bright purple blouse and heels. Dress professional, be comfortable, and make sure you won't have to fuss with your wardrobe (that includes hair) as it can become a distraction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Archived