Job hunting advice needed

I took about one year off right after PA school to raise my family and now seriously seeking a job. However what really surprises me is that almost every job ads I can find requires minimum one year experience. I submitted my CV to some employers anyway, either no response or being told that they only hire experienced ones. I have got very frustrated after exhausting job hunting for months. Wondering if PA job market is really like this, how new grads or people like me with little experience can survive. Can anyone give any advice? What specialties welcome new grads? Should I consider relocation or do sth to make my job hunting easier? By the way, I am at west coast.

I had a bit of a dream experience, not sure if it works like this for most people. As a new grad, I tried the blanket approach, putting my resume up on at least five websites the night I started. The very next day the recruiters started called before 8. Some of them did immediately dismiss me because they were looking for experience or someone already licensed to start right away. However, there was one in particular who I felt I connected with. He asked me to describe my dream job and location. Then he actually went out and found it for me. I start next week! The job is a small town Family Practice. I know a lot of people don't want to be "bothered" by recruiters, but it did work out well in this case.

Not trying to be rude, and I realize this isn't very helpful, but a lot of your problem is going to be caused by the fact that you took a year off directly after graduating. With new PAs graduating all the time, fresh out of school, they're definitely going to have an advantage over someone who has likely forgotten a lot of what they learned during school and hasn't kept their skills sharp. It's unfortunate you couldn't have taken a part-time or per diem gig initially, because now future employers are going to look at your resume and wonder why you haven't worked in a year. Now you aren't just a new grad with no experience, you're just a grad with no experience. I think the post above about a recruiter is good advice, and I would try to do that ASAP.

I would think about federal/government jobs! (military, VA, prison system, public health, etc.) They can hire you and then you can get at least a year or more of experience. They do not take a preference for experience. They would like someone experienced but the vast majority do not require it. If you do not want to go that route, there is residency programs. The pay is half of what you would make as a PA and they can be 1-2 years, but at least you are getting paid and getting vital, focused experience. You will be able to pick out of a basket of jobs then. Most residencies have emphasis on specialty though. ER, ICU, Ortho, Surgery... but you still have lateral mobility as a PA. One year of experience is one year, regardless of the specialty. I knew a family practice PA that came from Cardiology. She did that for like 8 years and needed a change I guess.

Not to be rude either but taking a year off after graduation was not a good career move.

You will likely need to do a residency, or relocate.

There ARE lots of jobs that will take new grads....many in ortho and surgical subs. EM and urgent care seem to want 1 year exp minimum. With surgical subs they often like to 'mold' a new grad into their style of practice. You may have luck in FM as well.

Like other have said, a year off doesn't bode well for your CV. Sign up for some recruiters.

Archived